Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious- in everyone's experience- how small of a dog can safely do schutzhund WELL.

Not just pass and get a title- but be competitive at the SchH3 level.

I'm worried about the jumps, the size of the decoys, OUTS when legs don't touch the ground, etc.

Any ideas or info appreciated.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I don't think size really matter much, but of course it needs to be bigger than a Pomerian and not as big as a Rott, but if he has a big heart then that is where it counts the most. I would rather have a 50 pounds nerve of steel than a bigger dog without good nerve.

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
Our club has a hard hitting, high flying little 54 lb GSD bitch. Her helper is 98 lbs with wet clothes so they make a great matchup.
We (club) used to have a nice little ACD that weighed about 35 lbs. Another great little pocket rocket.
Maybe not manstoppers but both of them were very fast and had plenty of attitude.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Remember there was the 35-40 pound pitbull at the ASR trial that did pretty darn well, and didn't seem to mind at all that his feet weren't on the ground except for when he was running towards the decoy. :wink:

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Prove them WRONG.

The helpers put the dogs back on the ground before you out them. I might be missing something here but as long as he's big enough to carry the dumbbell over the jumps then that should be big enough. To a dog he shouldn't see the size of a helper ( decoy) as anything more than someone to bite. If he has the drives and big enough to carry a SchH3 dumbbell, go for it. Now go have fun.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yes- they are supposed to be put back on the ground for the out- but it is not possible with this dog. I've had to work on him letting fo while still hanging-

I am sure he can title- although the SchH3 dumbell weighs more than he does :p The sleeve weighs more than him also- lol.

But I am just curious about other small dogs- because in my mind- yes- he is too small to compete in Schutzhund.

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
Remember that the III dumbell is only on the flat. The 1 is what is used over the jumps.
My JRT can pick up the 3. At 12, I'll bet that little SOB would give a good effort to get the 1 over the jumps, course, now, he'd probably tell me to put it where the sun don't shine. :eek:

·
Registered
357 Posts
friend had a little bitty mali female who couldn't have been over 35# - she was super - not strong, not powerful, but she would fly, she would bite, and she would dangle from that sleeve during drives/stick hits, her feet never touched the ground. But she did fine and she worked very well, entertaining to watch though! I'd say small female GSD-size is the smallest I'd want to work and be competitive with - 55# at the least. One female from my breeding is this size, she is extremely fast, plenty of grip and power, and she'll knock your socks off in obedience (jumping no problem, everything FAST) -
personally I prefer slightly larger but still middle-size. 70 lbs female, and 80-85 lbs male.

molly

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Jerry-

I had written a response to your post- but I don't see it now. Does that mean it is lost in the Web? :p

Your post made me realize I was assuming a smaller dog would go for lower bites on a suit if he was able too...

Makes me want to post another thread- do those who work dogs on suits see any difference in the size of the dog and WHERE they prefer to bite?
(Of course assuming the dog does both leg and arm bites)

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Molly- Is that Stormy by any chance? 8)

I had always thought 40-45 would be my low end for a dog to work. Of course, I am short, so he fits ME ok- Like I said- just curious to hear of other small dogs. I know L'Simba is a small Malinois that showed well at AWMA Nationals...

I have heard of smaller dogs being easier to injure- but I don't know how true that is...

And to the person who asked- I had not said, but it is a Malinois.

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Smaller dogs who like to fly actually bite higher from what I've seen, they are more agile and more willing to jump up for a bite, it's the 90lb dogs who are more likely to come in low because they don't want to carry their weight thru the air ;)

I just watched the vid you sent me, check your PM's, your dog looks fine, I don't see a problem at all! Stop thinking n go train your dog ;)

·
Registered
357 Posts
stormy - are you talking about the small mali? No, this was Tim Wray's little female Achy Breaky. Very cool little (teeny) dog that did pretty well for her size.

molly

1 - 20 of 27 Posts