Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have bin diagnosed with autism and social anxiety. I have bin researching service dogs for at least a year. I believe having a service dog would be extremely helpful to me, but understand that there is a chance that a service dog would not be helpful to me.
I tend to internalize anxiety and stress and am wondering if because I actively choose not to have meltdowns/panic attacks in public space, if a service dog would still be able to help or if just having a dog at home would be better because I don’t show my stresses in any other place.

I hope this makes a little bit of sense to someone.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don’t know much about service dogs, but I imagine you could take the service dog out with you or leave it at home, based on your preference in any moment.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have bin diagnosed with autism and social anxiety. I have bin researching service dogs for at least a year. I believe having a service dog would be extremely helpful to me, but understand that there is a chance that a service dog would not be helpful to me.
I tend to internalize anxiety and stress and am wondering if because I actively choose not to have meltdowns/panic attacks in public space, if a service dog would still be able to help or if just having a dog at home would be better because I don’t show my stresses in any other place.

I hope this makes a little bit of sense to someone.
A service dog would be of GREAT help for you, & there are many tasks it can be taught to perform in that regard.
As the other poster wrote - it is up to you & your need(s) on any given day whether to have your dog with you & the federal government protects your rights to keep your dog with you everywhere you choose to go in public.
GOOD LUCK to you!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts