Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My male pup is 5 months old this month and his ears are still flopping around like a mutt, this is a grandson of Arras Pegge on the bottom side and a son of a very unique PH1 malinois X on top.
Both parents and from what I can see every other dog in every generation of the tree have some of the most rigid ears you can get.
Here's the weird part, they were up at about 6 wks, then back down till about 4 1/2 months, then one up and one down for a couple weeks, and finally about 2 weeks ago both came up, just as I was about to breath a sigh of relief the one came back down, then a few days later the other, they've been flopped down ever since.
All the other pups in the litter have nice rigid upright ears and have had them since about 3 months or so.

This guy was the biggest male and looks to be slower developing due to size, he could be a 90 pounder, pics of him can be found in the photo gallery on my thread "father and son on christmas eve".
As for potential he is far and away the best I've ever seen, and to be honest I would be really bummed to have a world class dog with floppy ears.

I know sometimes the GSD pups ears dont come up till 6 months or later, especially the big ones, but these dogs usually have erect ears very early on, so how worried should I be at this point?

·
Registered
580 Posts
Shepherd breeders post the ears when they don't stand up on schedule, maybe you should try this?

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
or if you can't get them to stand up and he works as well as you say, i know some people that would take a nice dog that doesn't look that nice...

·
Banned
11,728 Posts
Yes, anyone who takes looks into consideration with a Mal needs to have their head examined. They look like stinkin coyotes. Who wants a dog that cannot be taken to the countryside?

Sooooooooooooooooooo, since you are concerned about not only looks, but size as well I am afraid that as Leige Lord of the Mal, I relinquish your rights to own them, and banish you to the useless world of Dobermanns.

That should take care of that. 90 pounder, floppy ears............WTF would you care if he works well?? Oh the shame you should be feeling.

Stop what you are doing, give all your Mals to appropriate NON LOOKS CARING DOG PEOPLE, and go get a Dobe.

So pretty, So useless :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
382 Posts
Jeff Oehlsen said:
Yes, anyone who takes looks into consideration with a Mal needs to have their head examined. They look like stinkin coyotes. Who wants a dog that cannot be taken to the countryside?

Sooooooooooooooooooo, since you are concerned about not only looks, but size as well I am afraid that as Leige Lord of the Mal, I relinquish your rights to own them, and banish you to the useless world of Dobermanns.

That should take care of that. 90 pounder, floppy ears............WTF would you care if he works well?? Oh the shame you should be feeling.

Stop what you are doing, give all your Mals to appropriate NON LOOKS CARING DOG PEOPLE, and go get a Dobe.

So pretty, So useless :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Were gonna miss you! :eek: ... Go take a prozac.

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
Stinkin coyotes..........with a head like a big ugly possum! :eek:

This is a working dog forum. Cut the ears off and get the dog a job.

JEEZE Jeff! Yer rubbin off on me! :oops: :roll:

·
Registered
580 Posts
drew... was this the cute little dutchie mix? I say it's hopeless - better ship him down here to Augusta and let him play with the flop eared dobermanns.... we're waiting... :D

lol... seriously, here are some links about taping GSD ears, I'd imagine its the same thing. If it doesn't work, well, you can still send him to me... :lol:

http://www.leerburg.com/tapingears.htm
http://www.lycos.ca/lifestyle/pets/german_shepherd_ear_taping.html
http://www.total-german-shepherd.com/GermanShepherdeartaping.html

·
Registered
382 Posts
So I guess you have owned dobermans before Jeff? And your right ...they really are pretty dogs :D

·
Registered
382 Posts
BTW....when taping ears....there are alot of ways to do it, and I think I did them all with my first useless doberman. So if you need any help...feel free to PM me.

If you think the ears might not need to be "taped" but need a little extra support, Breathe Right Strips, like people use for snoring, are a good alternative. If you put a little Skin-Bond (found at a pharmacy) on the back of the strip before you put it on, it will stay alot longer.

Good Luck! Taping ears can be a nightmare. I have two useless dobes who will attest to that! :D

·
Registered
382 Posts
Jeff Oehlsen said:
With tails and ears, they look a lot like black and tan coonhounds.
Oh come on Jeff, you can do better than that. :evil:

·
Registered
580 Posts
come on guys... don't get so upset...

nothing will ever change some people's minds - even your dog kicking their dog's butt in a trial! (but it sure makes you feel better) Make that your goal :D

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Amber Scott said:
Good point. Man, would that ever be embarassing...locking a thread on a GSD pup's ears because there was a Dobie vs. Mal argument going on a few posts into it? Hah, nah, that would be silly!

·
Registered
382 Posts
Woody Taylor said:
Amber Scott said:
Good point. Man, would that ever be embarassing...locking a thread on a GSD pup's ears because there was a Dobie vs. Mal argument going on a few posts into it? Hah, nah, that would be silly!
I was only joking. No need to lock the thread.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts