Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Much to my decoy's disdain :smile: I like video taping training (every once in awhile) so that I can see first hand what I need to work on and what I'm screwing up with my first SchH Dog. ie., I need to learn to walk in a straight line, Coda never chewed the dumbell until this day etc etc. The obedience routine in this film is not the 12-15 steps etc., required for Schutzhund/IPO - I very rarely even do the actual routine for obedience but I did do the routine in sequence the day of the film to see where we (Coda and me) were at....still a work in progress but we'll get there, using all motivional - hopefully before September:smile: The music is covering up the 3 little boys running along the fence line yelling at me and my better half - even though their parents knew that we were filming....good distraction though;) Short clip of the blind search and bark and hold that we've been working on.....which seems like forever......are included in the film.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5b_wScdqvA

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Looking great! Was that another dog barking in the background during the hold and bark or was that just something weird on the audio or YouTube? But I hear you, Lacey. I cannot walk a straight line to save my life. A few months ago, I was having a bad morning. Forgot to put my hair up and there was high wind and I ended up walking at like a 45 degree angle to where I should have been. Even Zoso was probably thinking "Uh...where are we going?" Must...learn...to...walk...straight... ](*,) Me and Zoso are starting agility tonight. I'm not sure if that's going to be better...or much much worse! :lol:

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone...still have much to "square away" before the big day but most of it I will admit is my own laziness...allowing her to get away with incorrect positions/response etc and actually rewarding it - as I was able to see on the film. Then there are the handler errors....when I first got Jarko the Instructor at the academy finally had to resort to using a whip (hitting me, not Jarko) to get me to stop giving commands in German instead of Dutch - but I think my better half would enjoy "correcting" me to much concerning the mistakes I make with Coda.:smile:

Maren, the dog in the background that you hear on the film is my puppy Zane. In the obedience video...he was actually in the house with all doors and windows closed (air conditioning) but it sounds like he is out in the yard with us. He was in a crate in the car during the bark and hold...jealous boy. I was hesitant about using a bark collar on him but he ended up barking right through a level 4 on a Tritronics Collar. Still working on the "no bark" command. Good luck with agility tonight...no doubt Zoso will have fun.

·
Registered
580 Posts
see, that's why I'm not a judge - I didn't see any incorrect positions! I did see her mouthing the dumbbell on both of the retrieves, but it still wasn't that bad, and it didn't look like she started doing it until right when she got into the return position.

I didn't have the sound on when i watched the first time, but it is funny to hear Zane barking when her H&B is finished - almost seems as if the sound is off track, LOL.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Most times when training you have to step back and see yourself with a judges eye in order to have a chance of scoring descently IMHO. Some clubs/groups have a person that has a good eye for this and will let you know what you or your dog need to fix.....I never had the luxury as my old club members were to busy chatting with each other rather then watching routines .....so I had to read the SchH rule book more times then I care to remember, watch trials and listen to judges critiques and then practice what I learned by scoring (in my head) other people's routines until I was pretty close to what the judge actually scored. As for the obedience routine that Coda and I did on the film...I saw the following:

- Start - crooked sit could be much straighter
- Crabbing and forging in heel position
- Wide about turn prior to the auto-sit
- Momentary lack of attention (looking at me) after the right turns and half way to the simulated group
- Front (on recall from down) off centered (to the handler right - handler adjusted to dog) - could be faster at recall

Finish (from front to heel position) could be faster as well as the basic position (sit/heel) is forward of the handler during both dumbell exercises.

Obvious mouthing of the dumbell in both exercises.

No doubt there is probably more that I missed. Until she is 100% in training there is no way I would step onto a trial field....I figure if I train and expect nothing less then 100% correctness I might get 80/90% at a trial - just the way it goes at least for me. But then it all depends on who is judging a particular trial ;) I prefer the less forgiving judges....I figure I'll learn more from them.

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
Very nice! If I have one bit of advice it would be to relax. Your left arm doesn't even move when your walking away from the moving sit. I had to make a very concious effort to keep mine in a natural swing.
When I did my BH I was so aware of it that I kept repeating "Move your arm", "Move your arm". Course when I watched the video later, my arm didn't move at all. :rolleyes: ;)

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yup your right Bob thanks - bad habit which I also did at her BH and need to start breaking myself of....maybe a shock collar would do the trick:-k

1 - 10 of 10 Posts