Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question about the bark and hold. I looked everywhere in the rule book and no where does it state that the dog has to be centered on the helper while conducting the bark and hold. Granted, it is a "pretty picture" when the dog centers - whether standing or sitting but is it a requirement? The reason I ask is because my dog does not center - is more to the left or right when doing the bark and hold. I don't want to try and fix this if indeed it is not a requirement and ends up creating other problems.

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Not 100% sure but I don't think being centered is a requirement, but it does look better to have the dog bark at the face rather than sitting by the sleeve staring at the equipment ;) Lots of ways to fix this though, just requires repetition and a helper that knows how to manipulate the dogs positioning.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Our main mod David Frost should comment on this, he has taken B&H and made it an art form.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I've seen this quite a bit lately. Some dogs over time learn to position themselves where they can grab the sleeve quickly. I have also seen some softer dogs that have been taught not to grip in the blind by the stick in the helper's right hand- and the dogs don't grip but stay out of reach of that stick.

I think, all other things being equal, that you would not lose any points for this, if the intent is still present. If it isn't, well, then there were other factors presenting for the judge than just a crooked dog in the blind.

That said, I agree with you, I don't like it. I want my dog to be centered in the blind. I am big on hold and barks- it is the judge's first look at the power, intensity, and drive of the dog. AND- it's just plain wicked to watch.

I am big on the fact that most training lately does not set a good foundation for the hold and bark.

Here is my dog from the 2005 USA Nationals- he's not centered either.

·
Registered
705 Posts
lace if im not mistaken the dog does not have to be centered. eh i checked around i doesn't say anything about position

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for everyone's replies. Michelle your boy looks really good and convincing in that bark and hold picture at the Nationals. Gerry thanks for posting the pictures of the different methods to help correct the off-centered dog.

·
Registered
193 Posts
It's not that hard to fix. Have the helper wear two sleeves, or have him in the suit, or, if the dog favors the sleeve side, have the helper rotate his feet and shoulders away from the sleeve side and when the dog moves over, the helper rotates back so he is squared up to the dog.

·
Registered
674 Posts
> Hey, thts not funny, my current administration is in the process of requiring all my future teams be trained as such!!

> Gotta LUV those desk jockeys and !!#$%&*_-+=??// attorneys and civil rights groups!!

>>Phil Dodson

·
Registered
92 Posts
In the bark and hold split second timing to location (the area the dog can get to full grip the quickest) is critical. I have this same issue at times and it is almost always related to the helper. If he is not quick enough or not getting sleeve presented straight out at time of grip the dog will quickly learn to target the off set position. If you watched on tape you would see dog is actually getting grip at just prior to sleeve getting popped up straight. Some dogs are so quick this is easy to do with out noticing what the real cause is. I usually request from helper to pop high so dog targets helpers head area. As far as points go all things being equal the dog sitting crooked or barking at sleeve will always score less in larger trials. The judge is going to say he would like to see a little more presence on the guarding.

Dan Reiter

Attachments

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks....guess I'll video tape the next training session. Maybe that would explain better why she does not favor the sleeve side (as shown in the previous pictures I posted) - she cants herself left or right...Appreciate the info and those pics in your post of Ivan :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts