Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
if you use the gel caps, do you just throw 'em in w/food and the dogs eat 'em? that's what i'm concerned about--it's a PITA to shove them down the old gullet every day... :(

·
Registered
705 Posts
my male mal will eat anything if it comes from my hand but my female mal i just stick it in some meat and she never knows its there

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
ann freier said:
if you use the gel caps, do you just throw 'em in w/food and the dogs eat 'em? that's what i'm concerned about--it's a PITA to shove them down the old gullet every day... :(
If you cut a slit in the side of the gel cap and let the dog lick it off, within a few days, they realize the good stuff is inside and they'll figure out how to crunch and eat it just like a treat. Same thing with vitamin E capsules. So then you can either drop one in their food or you can feed them by hand as a treat.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
I've never had a problem with them eating the gelcaps, and that goes for both the fish oil and the vitamin E. I either just put them in their dinner, or hand 'em out like treats and they gobble them down. With Gypsy, I have to put them in her food because, unlike the shepherds who just swallow them whole for the most part, she has to stand there and chew and chew and chew and chew them, and she makes a frothy mess if I just give her the gelcaps like treats.

The only places here I've been able to find fish oil in liquid form is at the pet store and at the health food shop. Both places are pretty high priced, and neither carries the big jugs, so using gelcaps works best for me.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks everyone! i discovered last night that you all are correct: i poked a little hole in the gel caps, threw 'em in their dinner, and they vanished! this a.m. i left the vit E cap whole, poked a hole in the fish oil cap: vanished!
tonight: no hole-poking (it's not really my thing anyway :lol: ).

·
Registered
382 Posts
I get the Fish Body Oil and Cod Liver Oil from GNC. I figure it has to be "pretty" good quality coming from there. Mine used to not want to eat the gel caps, now they could care less. In fact, Rommel (my male dobe) thinks it is just fantastic to pop the capsules between his teeth. I now have to watch him, or he will try to steal them from the other dogs.

I also like the Grizzly Salmon Oil, and the Solid Gold Flaxseed Oil.

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
I haven't seen this whole thread yet, but wanted to note that enough Omega 3 EFAs to be beneficial can't be given in fish liver oil form without danger from vitamin A overdose, and, in many cases, toxins.

I skip fish liver oil because I know how much A my dogs get from other sources. If I wanted to give liver oil, I would give no more than the daily recommended amount for A. I would give all the rest of the Omega 3 EFAs in fish body (or "fish muscle") oil.

A is oil-soluble and accumulates in the liver. (The dog's, as well as the fish's.)

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
ann freier said:
and where have YOU been Connie?? well, but just busy, i hope!!
Spending a week in the frozen tundra (Boston, Manhattan, and other sections of the arctic), with my sisters, daughters, and grandbabies.

Watched PSD field work on Long Island, and turned blue. The decoy, however, was saying "Man, I'm glad it finally warmed up."

I guess he meant the jump from 11 degrees to 17 degrees.

About 90 below with wind chill, I think.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Connie Sutherland said:
I haven't seen this whole thread yet, but wanted to note that enough Omega 3 EFAs to be beneficial can't be given in fish liver oil form without danger from vitamin A overdose, and, in many cases, toxins.

I skip fish liver oil because I know how much A my dogs get from other sources. If I wanted to give liver oil, I would give no more than the daily recommended amount for A. I would give all the rest of the Omega 3 EFAs in fish body (or "fish muscle") oil.

A is oil-soluble and accumulates in the liver. (The dog's, as well as the fish's.)
Thank You for that information Connie! I will be taking the cod liver oil out of their diet. Connie can you just come move in with me and teach me everything you know, so I can have fabulously healthy doggies :D

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well, i'm glad you survived it! couldn't you have gone during blueberry season though? woulda been a little warmer, i think :D

amanda--i get connie first!! (but i would share :lol: )

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
ann freier said:
well, i'm glad you survived it! couldn't you have gone during blueberry season though? woulda been a little warmer, i think :D

amanda--i get connie first!! (but i would share :lol: )
Isn't it really really cold in Nebraska? :lol:

Yes, I grew up in the Boston area, and I knew better. (They have one beautiful season, and it's usually one day in October. It's a very good day, though. :lol: )

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
not today!!!! we're gonna get up to 46F, w/NW wind at only 15mph!!! gorgeous! we're into snow/mud season for now: if the snow doesn't get ya in trouble, the mud will.... :(

1 - 20 of 25 Posts