Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So ive watched a few videos of french ring trials, and i was wondering why they train a dog to go for a leg bite when they are using the starter pistol, i would think that the dog would be trained to take the weapon arm so that they can not be harmed? Ive noticed this in a lot of formats actually, why is this ?

·
Registered
705 Posts
its just a distractant. this is a sport. not a psd or pp dog training method. french ring is built mainly around leg dogs.

·
Premium Member
3,443 Posts
Steve is right, it's a sport, not PSD/PP training.

The thing with going after the weapon arm/hand, is that the decoy can hold that out as a target, then remove the target at the last second (esquive) and wave at the dog as they go flying by. Dog hits the ground, turns, and comes back again, only to have the decoy repeat the manuever. I've seen dogs esquived 7, 8, 9 times in a row this way, until the dog finally gave up and just quit trying to get the bite.

With the esquive in Ring, upper body dogs are trained to target the center mass, shoulder/chest area.

·
Banned
11,728 Posts
Teo mariscal was in town yesterday from Spain, and we had a nice training session. I haven't worked Buko in about a month, so it was a good time for him.

Teo brought his new decoy, who in the film, if I can figure out how to get it on here, gets centered by the dog.

This should show you guys why I have complained in the past about the stupid elbow catches you are doing. Dogs tend to target where they are taught.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
705 Posts
yeah jeff i wanna see some of your decoy work and some of your dogs workin. seein how you always put in your 2 cents. we never see any proof you do anything but hang on here. [-X

·
Banned
11,728 Posts
No decoy work from me, as it was just me working, but one of the decoys, Sandro, is one that I trained.

I am still waiting for him to get me a disc, and then I will have to bug Mike and Woody for how to post it.

Prepare to get schooled, as the work i have seen from you is inadequate at best. I am not saying this to make fun, but to inform you that you need to go work with someone that actually knows how to decoy.

John Johnson has a school, and is knowledgeable enough to teach new decoys some very good work. I highly recommend it, although you might want to start a physical fitness program. You are young enough to have some very good years ahead of you. I wish I had some of those years back. LOL

Do not let your ego blow off what I am saying. This would be very good for you. If I was your age again, I would seriously consider this, or contact one of the many very nice people in France, as they have ALWAYS invited me to come and decoy for them. Unfortunately, with my knees, I am an accident waiting to happen!!!!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Steve is right, it's a sport, not PSD/PP training.

The thing with going after the weapon arm/hand, is that the decoy can hold that out as a target, then remove the target at the last second (esquive) and wave at the dog as they go flying by. Dog hits the ground, turns, and comes back again, only to have the decoy repeat the manuever. I've seen dogs esquived 7, 8, 9 times in a row this way, until the dog finally gave up and just quit trying to get the bite.

With the esquive in Ring, upper body dogs are trained to target the center mass, shoulder/chest area.
Ok so only In ring can the decoy esquive(which i believe means dodge) the bite? and do you lose a lot of points if the dog misses ??

·
Premium Member
10,196 Posts
Jeff, in all seriousness, what is the purpose of the esquive (I admit my ignorance about sport dogs). Is it to demonstrate the committment of the dog to the bite?

DFrost

·
Registered
705 Posts
No decoy work from me, as it was just me working, but one of the decoys, Sandro, is one that I trained.

I am still waiting for him to get me a disc, and then I will have to bug Mike and Woody for how to post it.

Prepare to get schooled, as the work i have seen from you is inadequate at best. I am not saying this to make fun, but to inform you that you need to go work with someone that actually knows how to decoy.

John Johnson has a school, and is knowledgeable enough to teach new decoys some very good work. I highly recommend it, although you might want to start a physical fitness program. You are young enough to have some very good years ahead of you. I wish I had some of those years back. LOL

Do not let your ego blow off what I am saying. This would be very good for you. If I was your age again, I would seriously consider this, or contact one of the many very nice people in France, as they have ALWAYS invited me to come and decoy for them. Unfortunately, with my knees, I am an accident waiting to happen!!!!
ok you havent seen anything but pics of my decoying dogs. and yes im not a top level trial decoy. but as far as training wise i like to think im pretty good. yes i have alot to learn considering my age. i have put about seven years of learning to train and decoy into this. (not that is much) but i would love to go be trained by the best. now as far as the work you have seen from me. i have only put pics on here and anyone can be made good in pics. ill have to get some videos up to prove you wrong my friend. but like i said i dont know all but as for as a training decoy i have been told i am very good. i could care less about trial decoy work. im in it for the training. There is a reason im moving to train with one of the best decoys i have ever seen work and learn what i need to improve from him.(justin eimer) you will see the skills. lets leave it at that.

·
Banned
11,728 Posts
How about we leave it with you taking a look at John Johnson's school????

Working with Justin, or anyone is good, however, Johnson has worked a lot of dogs, and spent a lot of time in France learning from some really good decoys. I really don't think there is a comparison between the two.

Years go by quick, I know that I wish there would have been schools like that here when I was younger.

David, Steve is correct. As I said before there are dogs with drive to take them to the reward, but the esquive can take a weaker dog out of drive, and then you see the dog a bit differently.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts