Working Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So ive started feeding my pup his food only out of my hands and only doing position work. This has greatly improved his speed animation left about turn and everything. Im super happy with the results. The only problem is that he is tearing up hand lol. ITs seriously a new cut or gash almost everyday. I feed him ground raw so I'm a bit worried about having raw meat juice my open cuts everyday. Does anyone know of a better way dispense a reward during heeling other than using the ball or feeding out of your hand?
I'm thinking either a giant oral syringe but with like a dime sized opening or getting a plastic bag and cutting the corner off.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
if you use a bag, the dog will just grab it and not let go. If this was my dog, I would start teaching him to respect my hand. Have the food there and ready to go but teach him to keep his teeth to himself. You can do this outside of positional work and it might actually be a good idea so when you correct him for grabbing you, you can correct for the grab - not because he's not in the right position.

Others may have better ideas....

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
What Sarah said!

The dog needs to learn how to take something from your hand without using teeth.

Keep it separate from the actual training until he starts to understand.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
I use and have recommended to some of my dog training clients the human gear go toob. You can fill it with pretty much any semi liquid food like peanut butter, cheez whiz and use it to reward the dog. There is lots of possibilities with this product for a food motivated dog that will keep your hands out of harms and goobers way. http://www.humangear.com/gear/gotoob

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
I use and have recommended to some of my dog training clients the human gear go toob. You can fill it with pretty much any semi liquid food like peanut butter, cheez whiz and use it to reward the dog. There is lots of possibilities with this product for a food motivated dog that will keep your hands out of harms and goobers way. http://www.humangear.com/gear/gotoob
Not a bad idea "IF" the dog doesn't see that as a toy to grab.

To this day Trooper can bite my flat palm with his incisors when offering food rewards.

I never really tried to work on it since he's always been driven for a game of tug.

Other then taking more time then food rewards I'm cool with it.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Yeah Bob I guess it all depends on the dog. The go toob is an alternative tool that's about it. I've seen so many new handlers get bumped by teeth or worse, it is worth a look. The way I look at it is a lot of new handlers can barely train a sit let alone getting a dog to a point where the teeth are not a problem with a mouthy dog. The less frustration for a handler = more training and hopefully more chances at success. A lot better than freaking out over getting bit for the umpteth time. We talk from experience to stop a mouthy dog but most don't have that same experience and that's one thing we don't want is the handler to give up.

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
Well said Geoff!

Teaching something that involves the teeth can take a bit of nerve to get through it.

The dogs that I have put in the effort to break this habit was simply a closed fist with the food and a pop on the nose if they got to mouthy.

Experience = confidence.

I don't know if there are any good video on the subject.

I know I'm a total Neanderthal when it comes to posting pics and video.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Re. Having dog choose NOT to come in hard for the treat:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipT5k1gaXhc

Its your choice: a game to play, outside of training, the foundation rules of how to take something gently from me. This has worked 100% of the time, on my dogs.

Put food treat on floor, covered by your hand.
Move hand so food is visable
If dog comes in too hard, cover food up again
Dog comes in softly, it gets food.
its impulse control training, and can be used at door exits, car exits, anywhere where you need your dog to control itself.

Very easy to train

1 - 8 of 8 Posts