Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the three puppers Saturday morning to get their rabies shots at the $5 clinic that the Humane Society hosts once a month or so. They all did fantastic. It was kind of funny, though, because 'big bad Jak' was the only one that cried. LoL I had him and Gypsy on leashes, and left little bit (Jessie) in the car because I can't handle all three of them at the same time, and because there were several people there with little dogs that were NOT under control and I didn't want to have to deal with Jessie telling them off (ie: trying to eat them). Instead, I brought out the two better ambassadors. :oops: :lol:

Anyway, it was held inside the old animal control building, so I took Gypsy and Jak back to the room we were told to go in, and the vet came back to do their shots and both dogs were all butt wags, of course, with Jak licking and doing the shepherd whine, too. So the vet and the girl whose job it was to hold the dogs' heads got some lovin's and then the vet gave the shots. Jak was first, and he was happily licking the holder girl's face, and when the vet stuck him, he yelped, but didn't miss a lick! :lol: When he yelped, though, Gypsy figured out what was going on, and so she decided she didn't want any of it and crawled under my chair! Silly girl! :lol: She was just fine with her shot, though, once we pulled her out from under the chair. She just laid there, and as soon as the vet pulled out the needle again, she went back to butt wagging.

Then we went outside to put them up, and the vet just followed me to the car to do Jessie, who also did just fine. My big bad boy is just a big wuss! :lol:

I was kind of ticked, because Jak and Gypsy's shots 'expired' in November, and there was a clinic in November, but it was in another county and I figured they'd have another one before now, but they didn't. THEREFORE, I was told that I had to bring them back again in a year because it had been longer than 15 months since their last one. :roll:

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Are the three year rabies shots not valid in your state? The AVMA and the AAHA finally are catching on and all vet students are now taught to give the 3 year instead of the 1 year. In actuality, they are really probably good for the life of the animal, but anyways... :roll:

·
Registered
580 Posts
the AVMA protocol is one rabies at 16 weeks, then the 3yrs. can start the year after that. I'm sure they last longer, though - MY rabies shot lasted six years according to my titers :lol: Different states have different requirements, though.

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
When I was active in earth work with my terriers I always got my own yearly shot.
Helped me sleep a bit better on more then one occasion. :eek:
Nasty, mean varmits! :D

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
Sure beat having my wife quarentine me to the dog run for ten days when I'd take a bite.
The occasional one night in the dog house is bad enough. :D :wink:

·
Registered
580 Posts
ann freier said:
but Amber--you're not a "bitch" by definition, are ya? so naturally, YOUR rabies will be better..JK, JK, JK..lol
oh... not by DEFINITION, maybe... :eek:

Seriously, I have an appreciation for the dogs - at first, the rule was that all the vet techs had to have a rabies vacc every two years, and it HURT... I mean, I'd be sore for days! Then they started doing titers instead, and I was SO grateful... and it didn't have nuttin' to do with vaccinosis... :lol: I'm such a wimp.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Maren Bell Jones said:
Are the three year rabies shots not valid in your state? The AVMA and the AAHA finally are catching on and all vet students are now taught to give the 3 year instead of the 1 year. In actuality, they are really probably good for the life of the animal, but anyways... :roll:
I totally agree on that last point. The only reason I do the rabies shots is because it's required by law. It's the only vaccine I give any of my animals, though.

The law here says that the first time your dog gets a rabies shot, he has to get another in 1 year, and then after that, every 3 years.

Gypsy was last vaccinated in November 2003. She got a 3-year tag. On the certificate, it says it 'expired' in November 2006. The vet told me at the clinic that she could have given a 3-year tag this time if the vaccine had been repeated in February of this year, but not since it was now March.

Jak was vaccinated in November of 2005 for the first time, which means he was due for his next one in November 2006, when he could get a 3-year tag, but again, because we were a month too late, he could only get another 1-year tag - if it had been February, there wouldn't have been a problem. She said that they could not give a 3-year tag to a dog that had gone longer than 15 months since his vaccine, if it was the first vaccine he'd ever gotten (or if he'd missed a year or whatever). I'm not sure why Gypsy couldn't get another 3-year, though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts