Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If a dog is considered to be a good canidate for PPD but not recommened for a family pet or sport. What are some things that would cause a owner/seller to say that. Wanted to ask some of you who deal with this a great deal more than I do.

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Not good for sport -- crappy chewy not-full-mouth grips
Not good for family -- handler aggression, antisocial, doesn't like ears/tail being touched

Any number of things, all depends on what someone expects out of a family/sport dog ;)

·
Premium Member
10,196 Posts
If I hear that, the first thing I think of is; the dog has some fear based issues.

DFrost

·
Registered
243 Posts
Most of the time you are dealing with enviorment issues. Floors, surrounds, people, drives, ect.....

A family/sport dog should be laid back, and easy to approch. full grips, calm flashy OB, and have a clear head. Scent work really doesnt matter.

A PSD should be confident, and acute to his surroundings. Can be sharp towrd strangers, and or people approching, needs to have a good nose and the abilty to do scent work if needed. Can have handler issues if the handler is willing to over look this.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Dominant and possessive are also traits a dog can have that don't facilitate its living within a family with young kids.

Not good for sport can also include dogs that are simply serious and less prey oriented; dogs that tire easily; dogs with a short attention span...

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
handler aggression, antisocial- Thats what came to my mind, especially since they also said will require experienced handler?

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
also keep in mind if you don't know the person, they could just be telling you what they think you want to hear. sometimes vendors/brokers can smell when a guy comes in and wants a "landshark" and they will tell him things like "he's not good for sport" or "needs experienced handler" because n00bs will associate that with "he's a tough son of a bitch" when in reality the dog would do fine in sport or with an inexperienced handler.

keep in mind i'm not saying you're a n00b or that this is the case with this guy you are dealing with. if you know him and have dealt with him before, disregard. if he is a total stranger, keep this in mind...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts