Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My stupid stupid expensive (10 mo old) puppy.... had her SECOND emergency vet visit today. (Why can't she be stupid during business hours?!) :grin:

Last night, Moxie was pefectly fine, crazy puppy. I didn't train her this "morning" Ermmm.... morning started at 12:00 noon today... So I hadn't checked on her (since 1:00am). Her water bucket was full last night and is was nice and cool today so it didn't cross my mind. I was in and out training dogs, caring for my son, gardening etc until 4:00pm when I put the dogs up so I could take a "lunch" break. When I put the other 2 outside, Moxie was sitting in a corner of the fenced yard, totally still. I instantly knew something was VERY wrong.

Edit: Her normal behavior would be to push open the door, gallop across the house and dive onto the couch (which, of course, is forbidden)

She had dumped out her water bucket sometime today - and by the look of it, probably closer to 1:00am. She had a glazzed look, her waist was sunken in and she was vey quiet. I offered water, she drank then vomitted and started shaking. I took her temp 98.1 and called emergency vet.

While I waited I put her in a warm water bath (because I don't have a heating pad. she was starting to perk up by the time I got the to the vet (total elasped time: 15 - 20 min).

At the vet they took her temp, examined her thoroughly and gave 1 liter of lacted ringer's with some anti-vomiting medicine. She started perking up enough to growl at all the barking dogs in boarding.

The vet wanted to do bloodwork to check liver and kidney function. I declined because 1) we were pretty sure on how she got dehydrated and 2) if there is a liver or kidney problem, this will happen again and at the point bloodwork would be necessary. Is this good logic?

Anyway - now I'm off to rig up a way to keep her from dumping her water bucket. If you guys haven't done that yet - I suggest you do! It might save you $200 and from having a small nervous breakdown!

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
I would add that I learned to have several water containers around, even if they are not all deep and roomy, because of the probability that they will never all be empty.

I imagine you know that body temperature water will rehydrate her organs best.

I would probably make extra efforts to keep this pup hydrated, based on the slight possibility that kidney issues triggered this (rather than no water available).

Pouring water over the food in the dish usually works, even for dogs who don't drink much water.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haha - I think I already told you how hard it is to get this pup to drink water :)

I talked to the vet about it, but she wasn't concerned. She said a 60lb kibble-fed dog needs a 1/2 gallon of water per day. Raw diet is about 50% water so the pup is getting 1/2lb of water (how much volume is that??) per day for sure.

I guess I will have to stock up on vanilla pudding since that seems to be the only way to convince her to drink water :grin:

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
Haha - I think I already told you how hard it is to get this pup to drink water :)

I talked to the vet about it, but she wasn't concerned. She said a 60lb kibble-fed dog needs a 1/2 gallon of water per day. Raw diet is about 50% water so the pup is getting 1/2lb of water (how much volume is that??) per day for sure.

I guess I will have to stock up on vanilla pudding since that seems to be the only way to convince her to drink water :grin:
Oh, right, that dog. I forgot. Well, vanilla extract in water would be no problem at all..... even the alcohol in it is an amount not to be concerned about.

·
Banned
11,728 Posts

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What kind of dog is this??
APBT

And why the heck would you overthink this???
Apparently the "pibbles" are affecting my intellegence. :grin:

Sounds more like natural selection to me. I would secure the container, but thats about it.
that's about what my husband said. I was explaining how serious her condition was when I found her - mentioning that if I hadn't have checked until the doggie dinnertime, she would not have made it. He said "that would be cheaper" :p

To stupid to drink water???? Maybe to stupid to live.
I might have to agree. She's flunking out miserably as a performance dog prospect. She might end up in a pet home with somebody who will indulge her vanilla-pudding-water sweet tooth.

Too easy to joke about since she is OK. She is all worn out and sleeping like a rock. A snoring rock.

·
Banned
11,728 Posts
So basically, how did you decide that the dog didn't drink enough water to start this absolutley rediculous vanilla pudding thing?????

Look, I don't reeeeeeally have enough information to call you a yahoo, but I am seriously thinking that this might be so. Don't make me go Von Munchhausens on you. Ed is not here to protect you.

I, if I were a dog, and had an owner like you (which most of my dogs are like me) you would be carrying me around on a pillow, and feeding me the most delicious of foods, which of course I would change every two weeks or so and send you scrambling about in a flurry of aggitation to find out which food I would like to eat. I would make you run about for days trying to find out why I am not eating, which is of course because I am a dog, and do not know what I am supposed to eat.....as a scavenger, I should be able to eat just about anything, and it is not absolutely necessary for me to eat every day.

I sort of wonder if you have any luck with goldfish????

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
... I, if I were a dog, and had an owner like you (which most of my dogs are like me) you would be carrying me around on a pillow, and feeding me the most delicious of foods, which of course I would change every two weeks or so and send you scrambling about in a flurry of aggitation to find out which food I would like to eat. I would make you run about for days trying to find out why I am not eating, which is of course because I am a dog, and do not know what I am supposed to eat.....as a scavenger, I should be able to eat just about anything, and it is not absolutely necessary for me to eat every day.
Well, Jeff, you blew it on this one. :lol:

I am trying to picture Anne carrying a dog around on a pillow, and I'm failing utterly. (OR catering to food preferences.)

She does have a good sense of humor and a thick skin, though.

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
I am considering, trying, THINKING about going to work, so perhaps I was not descriptive enough to summon up the image of so[m]e stupid rescue dog working her like a bitch. What can I say, I cannot get every chapter as suspensefull as the last..............yet.;)

Well, I know you'll work on it, and we will all wait with bated breath.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Jeff you are too funny.

So basically, how did you decide that the dog didn't drink enough water to start this absolutley rediculous vanilla pudding thing?????
You know how a dog's skin gets all loose and will stay sticking oput when it's pulled on when the dog is dehydrated? She was like that. My mom came up with the vanilla pudding idea. I was on complete bedrest so I claim perfect innocence.

Look, I don't reeeeeeally have enough information to call you a yahoo, but I am seriously thinking that this might be so. Don't make me go Von Munchhausens on you. Ed is not here to protect you.

I, if I were a dog, and had an owner like you (which most of my dogs are like me) you would be carrying me around on a pillow, and feeding me the most delicious of foods, which of course I would change every two weeks or so and send you scrambling about in a flurry of aggitation to find out which food I would like to eat. I would make you run about for days trying to find out why I am not eating, which is of course because I am a dog, and do not know what I am supposed to eat.....as a scavenger, I should be able to eat just about anything, and it is not absolutely necessary for me to eat every day.
Haha - that is just like my sister's cat.

So I don't spoil the rescue dogs (and the puppy is ending up in that category now). BUT - Abby has her own set of toenail polish colors. Her collar, toenails and toys all match colors. She has toys that the other dogs are not allowed to touch. She can "tell" me if she is hungry, thirsty, needs to go outside or wants to play. She can "tell" me if she wants chicken or "cancer" (anything sweet). She remembers all the kennels that I've worked at and is VERY disappointed when I don't stop. She sleeps on the bed UNDER the blankets. And.... you will call me a certified yahoo... but her life insurance policy is for $20,000... :grin:

In my own defense, all the spoiling doesn't interfere with training. And if you don't believe me, she'll somersault and stand on her front legs to prove it. :) http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=AnneVaini

I sort of wonder if you have any luck with goldfish????
I started my goldfish-killing career young. I think I was about 4 and was trying to catch them by smashing them against the glass with the net. My parents never did find out why they all died - or why they had funny dents in their sides.

Since then, they tend to die immediatley after being named. Except the betta - the betta was slightly more suicidal and jumped out. I did give up on it - stick to things that don't die so easily.

What does goldfish have to do with anything?

·
Registered
580 Posts
ha - that's funny! No, my dog couldn't do that - nor would I let them try ;) cause they're a bit bigger than that...

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nah.... that trick was easy. I told her "hup" and she did it. Same on the piggyback ride. I told her to sit, turned around and said "hup" and she did it first try.

It looks like I'm going to break my record of using 200# of training treats in a year. I used 5 lb in the last 2 days :grin:

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I started my goldfish-killing career young. I think I was about 4 and was trying to catch them by smashing them against the glass with the net. My parents never did find out why they all died - or why they had funny dents in their sides.

Since then, they tend to die immediatley after being named. Except the betta - the betta was slightly more suicidal and jumped out. I did give up on it - stick to things that don't die so easily.
I'm just glad I was not drinking anything when I read this - Anne you are to funny:lol:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts