Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there!
I have a 7 month old Malinois male.
He has gone through all sorts of ear stages during his development. They were up (but wonky) before teething…. As soon as teething started they completely flopped air plane style. Once he finished teething they slowly start coming back up but still in “teepee” shape.
I recently started taping them with medical tape and breathe right strips to help them out just in case. I have been doing this for about 3 weeks now.
Any one have any idea if they will start to even out as his head gets bigger? Or will they always stay wonky? Lol or should I try moleskin and bonding cement method? I’m open to suggestions.
Thank you!

·
Registered
280 Posts
I used the pipe insulation method years ago from a Leerburg forum post and will always use this method from here on out. 100% everytime with mals and DS that I have seen. Mine was like yours as well, went out, then in, then inward teepee. Now perfect. I do like your method if its working, even more minimal. Does it come off on its own? Or do you have to remove it? Dog mess with it? Interesting. By the end of 8 months, you have what you have, very little change they will change, however I have seen a few that did.

Ive seen one out to the left over time, however when the dogs on strong alert the ears will stand, however out of drive and just running around ear is like a wind sock. In mals and DS, usually had this problem with ears only on very large pups/dogs weighting in at 65lb dogs at maturity. Never on dogs 55-60lbs.

Keep posting updates, maybe a step by step on how you did your method, when you started at what age, and more details. Id anything I am interested. Feel free to email if you don't want to post.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there,
Hope the ideas shared above would have helped you.

I have been thru this and did everything I could possibly do. My female was czech working line pup when I got her. she was exactly 2 months when I got her. She was crazy like hell and her drive was nuts.
The only issue was her ears. I tried methods from Leerburg like Kevin mentioned. I also started giving her boiled egg shells. As per some web-sites (including may be Leerburg as well), the dogs shall errect the ears by 7 months maximum. So I was quite depressed after 9 months.

Interesting part was...it was 1 am mid-night and I was looking for some possible solution over internet when someone advised me at some forum to try a thing (now I totally forgot what it was...). I went running to my dogs kennel at mid-night... praying that this method shall work out. As soon as I opened the door she was standing infront of it and her ears were PERFECTLY UP :) :) :). I was like :O :O :O. She was almost 10 months or little over at that time.
Just to mention, I was giving her egg shells those days with milk and dog food. Not sure if that contributed to it or not.
:) Hope this gives you some comfort!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts