Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took possession of my new GSD bitch pup on 11th June...

She's was just short of 3 months old.

In the first week or two she suffered from diarrhoea... very loose - spattering.

The food is the same as she had at the breeders, as is the quantity/feeding times etc..

I put it down to change of circumstance/location... also she had worms...

I wormed her then and also two weeks later...

I starved her a day..and it was still there...

I did the rice and chicken, nice and light etc..and it was still there...

I gave her pro-kolin and she seemed to get better..

She then started to solid up ..and everything was great...

However, in the last 24 hours, she's at it again. I heard her stomach rumbling/gurlgling yesterday afternoon and her crap was loose...

I've just come home from night duty at 4am, and there's 4 large puddles of diarrheoa in the yard...so she's at it again....

I worry about her health, as she's quite a lithe slim animal..and puts weight on, but slowly. She's very active when she's active, but sleeps as she should in between. She's drinking enough, her eyes and gums seem ok. She has a great appetite and loves her food...

I'm also sick of mopping stinking puddles of crap up....:-({|=

Any advice, thoughts and opinions...

·
Registered
580 Posts
has your veterinarian done a fecal test? even if they have, and it was negative, it might be worth another try. some things, like coccidia, don't always show up on every test.

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
Details needed:

1. What is the food (exactly), and daily quantity?

2. Have you had a fecal check after the worming?

3. Is she drinking water OK?

4. For how long was her stool normal?

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
You can also add a few spoonfuls of cooked sweet potato or canned pumpkin (just plain canned, not with any spices for pie). Most dogs love the taste and it's got those nice antioxidants in it too. Will usually firm up poop within 12-24 hours (and you can tell cause it will be slightly orange). My pup had diarrhea for a few days, so we got an antibiotic and an antidiarrheal based on the fecal. Not sure what the brand name of the products will be over yonder, but if you can find children's electrolyte solution (Pedialyte) and dilute it in her regular water, it may help keep her hydrated. The last thing you want is to get dehydrated as they can succumb very quickly.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Not sure what the brand name of the products will be over yonder, but if you can find children's electrolyte solution (Pedialyte) and dilute it in her regular water, it may help keep her hydrated. The last thing you want is to get dehydrated as they can succumb very quickly.

You can get Dioralyte at most chemists here in the UK - we used this (along with antibiotics prescribed by the vet) with my pup when she was suffering from gastroenteritis.

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
I feel for ya man. I have been dealing with this for over a week with all 4 of my dogs, plus now I am sick too. I had green diarhea all over the kennels for a week, its finally clearing up now. My dogs have been on anti-vomit meds, they are on antibiotics and they are on Flagyl for the stools. My pup Tiko looks very skinny but his stools seem to be the first ones to be solid out of all 4 so I am probably gonna add kibble to his boiled chicken today.

Don't have any answers for you, but you have my sympathies ;)

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Details needed:

1. What is the food (exactly), and daily quantity?
FROMM large breed puppy gold.
http://www.frommfamily.com/products-g-d-largepuppy.php

1 and half coffee cups (soaked), 4 times per day.

2. Have you had a fecal check after the worming?
No.

3. Is she drinking water OK?
yes fine. As and when expected. Normal quantities consumed.

4. For how long was her stool normal?
Perhaps 7-8 days

·
Registered
512 Posts
FROMM large breed puppy gold.
http://www.frommfamily.com/products-g-d-largepuppy.php

1 and half coffee cups (soaked), 4 times per day.
Gary,

Is that a normal tea mug size or is it something smaller? 6 cups sounds like an awful lot of food to me.

When my rotty was a pup she was always skinny, but if I upped the food to try and get weight on her, there would always be diaorrhea (she turned out fine in the end, just a skinny pup).

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gary,

Is that a normal tea mug size or is it something smaller? 6 cups sounds like an awful lot of food to me.

When my rotty was a pup she was always skinny, but if I upped the food to try and get weight on her, there would always be diaorrhea (she turned out fine in the end, just a skinny pup).
You might be right Ian.

I might just have to lessen the amounts.

She is quite a skinny pup, but is quite long legged and long in body, just no real meat on her.

Someone recently asked if she was a lurcher #-o !! I was mortified !

I'm all too aware that I dont want to be feeding her too much and that growing too quickly is also to be avoided. However, as she's an apetite and she's getting enough exercise, I thought the food intake was ok.

You might be right, I might just have to cut it back a bit..

·
Registered
512 Posts
You might be right Ian.

I might just have to lessen the amounts.

She is quite a skinny pup, but is quite long legged and long in body, just no real meat on her.

Someone recently asked if she was a lurcher #-o !! I was mortified !

I'm all too aware that I dont want to be feeding her too much and that growing too quickly is also to be avoided. However, as she's an apetite and she's getting enough exercise, I thought the food intake was ok.

You might be right, I might just have to cut it back a bit..
Gary,

Just to sympathise with you:

My rotty pup was always skinny, long in leg/body and very active. Some people thought she was a Dobe and others thought her a x breed (she has a tail!). She always had a great appetite (still does), but I learned that her being hungry did not = being underfed. She just likes food.

This was her at 5 months:

You pup looks great to me (not that I'm a GSD expert) and Fromm is one of the better foods you can get hold of over here, so hopefully cutting back the quantities will firm up her stools.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
You might also want to try soaking the kibble for less time and maybe feeding not so frequently - soaking can push the food thru their system a little too fast resulting in soft stools. A fecal at the vets would be a good idea, too.

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
Well, not sure what quantity that really is, but on the face of it it sounds like a lot. The real measure is whether she is the right weight and shape on the amount you're giving.

And someone else pointed out that overfeeding is a frequent diarrhea triggger; true, true, true......

But I would collect and drop off a fecal with the info about the severe diarrhea. I'd check her for hydration (gum color, skin elasticity.... but I wouldn't want to even get that far; I'd just make darned sure she was taking in more water at the front end than was going out the back until this is resolved). I'd go back to the soothing cooked-white-chicken and overcooked watery white rice diet (small amounts) after a day of fasting. I'd definitely add the canned (or cooked) plain pumpkin, but I hear all the time from other folks in the UK that they can't get that. If that fecal was negative, I'd ask that the other test (fecal float, plus giardia elisa if that's what the vets do there for giardia diagnosis) be done if the diarrhea had not subsided.

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
I'd go back to the soothing cooked-white-chicken and overcooked watery white rice diet (small amounts) after a day of fasting. I'd definitely add the canned (or cooked) plain pumpkin, but I hear all the time from other folks in the UK that they can't get that.
I was just thinking about the availability of canned pumpkin when I wrote that on the previous page. I was out of canned pumpkin for Fawkes a few days ago and cooked sweet potato works about the same.

Gary, assuming you can get sweet potatoes, you can prick them with a fork about 5 times and put them in the microwave for 5-7 minutes (or slightly longer if it's a big one). Cut it open and let it cool to room temperature or slightly warm before serving a few spoonfuls to the pup.

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
Yes, I have used them too.

One caveat is that they have 5 or 6 times the sugar content of pumpkin.

Sugar makes some kinds of diarrhea worse.

Still, I have used it and thought it worked pretty well. I think maybe that type of fiber (and this is a total guess) works well enough to bulk up stools to help offset the sugar.

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
On the upside, you wouldn't want blood glucose levels to drop with a possibly dehydrated pup either. I usually just give a few spoonfuls. Probably not enough to be a big deal either way.

And by the way...wrapping a sweet potato in aluminum foil, roasting in coals for ~45 minutes, and then adding butter and brown sugar... =P~ =P~

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well today was a different story...

She's had two motions (to my knowledg)...she might have eaten a 3rd...

Anyway, both motions were solid and as they should be...;)

So perhaps yesterday was an off day..not sure...

The FROMM large breed puppy gold that she's on seems ok...but ive been advised to seriously think about trying her with Eukanuba...

Any thoughts / experience with Eukanuba.. ?

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
Well today was a different story...

She's had two motions (to my knowledg)...she might have eaten a 3rd...

Anyway, both motions were solid and as they should be...;)

So perhaps yesterday was an off day..not sure...

The FROMM large breed puppy gold that she's on seems ok...but ive been advised to seriously think about trying her with Eukanuba...

Any thoughts / experience with Eukanuba.. ?

Eukanuba large breed puppy:
Chicken, Corn Meal, Ground Whole Grain Sorghum, Chicken By-Product Meal, Brewers Rice, Natural Chicken Flavor, Dried Beet Pulp (sugar removed), etc.

Corn meal = junk
Sorghum = junk
By-Products = junk
Brewers Rice, Natural Chicken Flavor, Dried Beet Pulp = junk, junk, junk

And these are the top (most plentiful) ingredents.

I will PM you a list of better kibbles if you like. :>)

1 - 20 of 64 Posts