Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The FMMB, mainly the decoy selection/performance left me questioning: Would you pull your dog from a trial/competition where you believed the safety of your dog (ie., lack of skill/ability of the helper) were in question? At club level trials, not home field advantage, sometimes you don't get the opportunity to have the trial decoy, work your dog before the actual trial. Even if you do get the opportunity....and you don't like what your seeing...is it to late to pull your dog? Would you be suspended from trialing in USA,FCI etc if you pulled your dog? I really am curious about the official rulings pertaining to this. If numerous handlers pulled their dogs because of safety reasons - would it weigh more in the eyes of the officials? Where should we as competitors draw the line - saving face and the ability to continue to compete (not saying at all that this was the case at the FMBB) or saving our dogs from potential serious injury because of poor helper/decoy work?

·
Premium Member
4,982 Posts
I cannot imagine that they would penalize you for pulling your dog out of a club level trial, maybe you'd need a little more justification at higher levels? If I saw a decoy screw up several times before I was up, I would pull my dog in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I don't care what anyone thinks - if I don't think a decoy is safe, they aren't working my dog. If the trial organization holds that against me, I guess I'd just have to find a new sport. ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.