Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to get a KNPV title with a dog that have a great preydrive but may lack the courage and mentality to bite a man without a suit, like a policedog are supposed to do? Or are most dogs that gets a KNPV-title today dogs that are suited for practical work?

·
Premium Member
3,751 Posts
there are more prey/sportdogs than "natural born" policedogs in KNPV :wink: So yes it is possible.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Has it become more of a sporttrial over the years, instead of a programm for policedog? And more importantly, is there a difference between a good KNPV-dog and a good policedog in holland, is there a difference in general between the character wanted nowadays for doing well in KNPV compared to doing well at dutch policework?

·
Registered
635 Posts
Eric...keep in mind that there is a BIG, BIG difference between PREY DRIVE and PLAY DRIVE. A dog that has high prey drive will EAT you for lunch quite easily...

The issue with prey drive is not how much the dog can dish out, it's how much it's willing to take.

·
Premium Member
3,751 Posts
a sportsdog is easier to train...a "natural born policedog" is per definition stubborn, hard headed, dominant and very brave. To train such a dog you have to work very hard (and put up litterarly a fight sometimes) and isn´t fix in a short time.

The people willing and able to train this kind of dogs are a few. If i take myself as a example.. I can´t work a dog like that ´cause i will loose on the physical part. Favorite saying of my dad: "women doesn´t belong in KNPV, they can´t work a policedog" and hard it is to admit..it is true. My dogs are sportdogs (although 1 could become a policedog :wink: )

·
Banned
11,728 Posts
This is something that is asked in all sports. An easy answer is that there are not enough good homes for a really powerful dog. Also, there will always be less of them, because we judge on a point system that rewards a dog that goes against his wishes. Then we breed to these animals, which create more like themselves and the breed becomes weaker.

A powerful dog isn't always gonna go along.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The people willing and able to train this kind of dogs are a few. If i take myself as a example.. I can´t work a dog like that ´cause i will loose on the physical part. Favorite saying of my dad: "women doesn´t belong in KNPV, they can´t work a policedog" and hard it is to admit..it is true
So there are no female K9-handlers in holland then, or :wink: I guess that is a problem in all sports, to hard and independent dogs are not easy to do well with. But on the other hand, how many k9-handlers would do their job well with a dog that is very hard and independent? Maybe the perfect dog is the one that is more easy to train, but still enough brave to do good on the streets too? A "sportsdog" but with an attidue so to speak.

·
Premium Member
3,751 Posts
Erik Berg said:
The people willing and able to train this kind of dogs are a few. If i take myself as a example.. I can´t work a dog like that ´cause i will loose on the physical part. Favorite saying of my dad: "women doesn´t belong in KNPV, they can´t work a policedog" and hard it is to admit..it is true
So there are no female K9-handlers in holland then, or :wink: I guess that is a problem in all sports, to hard and independent dogs are not easy to do well with. But on the other hand, how many k9-handlers would do their job well with a dog that is very hard and independent? Maybe the perfect dog is the one that is more easy to train, but still enough brave to do good on the streets too? A "sportsdog" but with an attidue so to speak.
There are (some) female K9-handlers. But there is a difference between a complety certified and already trained dog and a dog in training :wink:

Still my opinion is that a policedog have to be hard and independent, and I can´t (at this moment) work such a dog..so I stick with the sportsdog with an attitude :wink:

·
Banned
329 Posts
a sportsdog is easier to train...a "natural born policedog" is per definition stubborn, hard headed, dominant and very brave. To train such a dog you have to work very hard (and put up litterarly a fight sometimes) and isn´t fix in a short time.

The people willing and able to train this kind of dogs are a few. If i take myself as a example.. I can´t work a dog like that ´cause i will loose on the physical part. Favorite saying of my dad: "women doesn´t belong in KNPV, they can´t work a policedog" and hard it is to admit..it is true. (end quote)

My last dog that I trained for Search work came from very strong KNVP lines, she was a Baden lines dog. One of his students purchased his dog and got permission to breed back to one of his. I guess she would fit that description of stubborn, brave and hard headed, but in the longrun, she was very good with people. Very dominant from the beggining though and remained very dominant, but never dominant when her treatment was fair and kind. She only challenged me once as a young pup over nail trimming. The hard headedness showed up when I gave up on all resources to cure her jumping around in the vehicle when not in the vehicle crate (actually she would tip the crate in the vehicle sometimes). I finally broke down and bought a shock collar. That dog couldn't have cared less about it. I tested it so many times, thinking it must not be working. At full strength, she would show the slightest tilt of her head as if a flea had bothered her. My friend, a fireman didn't believe the strength I told him the collar was giving and he was dumb enough to put his hand on it. He was so Shocked (all pun intended) when he got the gist of what this dog was ingoring. So I threw it away. You know, that was the only commnand I could never get that dog to follow. STOP JUMPING OVER MY VAN SEATS, back and forth like a rabbit every time we went near the bush to train.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts