Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are some pictures of my pup before and after ear crop/ tail dock
(No her ears are not standing, she has breathe right strips in them to let the stitches heal, but still keep them standing up.)

Pre -Crop

Chewing on Rommels leash...waiting on the vet

Post Crop - very festive :D

Hi Mom!

Yes...they look a little long now, but they are waaay shorter than my other dobies were.

The tail....poor thing, they shaved her butt.

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Though your pup is older, I am shadowing with a rural mixed practice vet and watched my first tail docks and dew claw removals today. Even though the pups settled down by about 5 minutes afterwards, still...ouch, not cool...if I did pick a breed that needed tail docking and dew claw removal, I'd want local anesthesia.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She was put under for the whole procedure.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks :D Yep, she came to me from Holland last friday. My very first import. She is a handful, but a very cute handful.

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Hehe, I'd imagine they'd have to at her age, not only for the sake of legality, but for the sake of the vet. :) I'm not necessarily anti-crop or dock, like I like the look on Dobermans and Beauceron, but not on boxers, pit bulls, and some of the molosser types (Dogos, Presas, etc). I just think even on very young animals, local anesthesia should be used.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Wow she looks good, it amaze me how fast she grows, I saw her brother this morning, and he also become a very big boy, but also a handfull!

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
dewclaw removal...?

she looks great! and i THINK, that as she grows, her ears will be much more proportional and less GD-like (nice crop, IMO).

maren, back in the day, i was the tech that got to hold pups for their docks/eye-lid stitches (can we say "shar pei"??),and, while they demonstrated MOMENTARY discomfort, that was it. it's like "ouch" for a second, then no big deal.

this is one reason we dehorned/castrated (w/razor blade, BTW) our male dairy goats within 2 days of birth: they have a high pain threshold and tolerated the procedures quite well (we dehorned the does also, just to be clear--but never did castrate any :D ).

point being, that, if some of these procedures are done early enough, even a local isn't necessary. you, of course, have access to the latest research on it, but i, for one, wouldn't pay for a local when it's not necessary in my mind.

this little girl, w/everything done to her, of course needed a general--and it looks like she's recovering nicely, and in the Christmas spirit!! beautiful pup :D

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
She is almost scary. You would never know anything was removed from her! She is running around like a wild banshee! I requested pain medicine from the vet (just in case) I was thinking maybe she would be a little sleepy and whiney......NOT! Haha.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh and yes, the little "socks" are from dew claw removal. Just so that she cant chew out the stitches. I changed the bandages yesterday though, and they are healing nicely.

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
Ann, I once was the tech that held them too & my experiences were the same as yours. The pups only cry for a second, then it's "Where's the milk?"

1 - 13 of 13 Posts