Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My assistance dog in training is 19 months old and currently going through a heat. I’m obviously not doing any work with her at the moment, we’re lying low. I’m going to get her spayed when it is safe to do so after this heat.
My question is to do with behavioural changes during heat - my girl was rock steady prior to her heat, but today when I took her for a brief walk for enrichment she was terrified of a man with a walking stick and barked at a small child. This is extremely out of character and it must be hormones.
Can behavioural changes linger after a heat? My last dog in training washed at the last hour, I really need a working dog and am worried about anything going wrong with this one. She’s very well bred and, as I say, is usually calm and well mannered. I’m hoping everything will calm down once she’s out of heat!

· Registered
33 Posts
Look on Schutzhund USA . There should be a list of clubs in your area . You don’t have to get into the sport but you want a group setting for obedience Schutzhund has a BH rating for street dogs This can be fun if the group really trains for stable dogs the dogs and you can be exposed to startling noises and actions geare for street situations being a street toddler there are a lot of Streetrod events that allow dogs on leash you can get noises pets all kinds of things I often brought my Aussie to events then took here for a walk around the car and people . You don’t have to do protection or tracking mostly obedience. I had to start from scratch . My job had me keeping endless notes so I applied this to dog training . I look at an exercise then take it apart and rain step by step . Making notes of progress When I have to combine events I do the same thing create goals or mile stones work for perfection . You may find you are your own dog club . Sometimes you can I list help

1 - 2 of 2 Posts