Working Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Oh Kristen, don't get me started looking, I won't be able to stop! Petfinder is so darn addictive. Dutch Shepherd Rescue had a really cool looking Dutchie/GSD/Mali mix. She looked like a skinny striped tiger with a saddle. She was even sport evaluated and passed except needed some getting used to gun fire. But she got adopted. Darn...not that I'm in the market!!! Everyone in our club keeps trying to talk us into getting another one so my fiance, who is training as a helper, can have his own dog to train since I have Zoso. But I must say no for now. Three dogs plus any foster I might have at the moment is quite enough, thanks!

Anyone else have a shelter/rescue working dog?

Edit: here's the photo of the Dutchie mix.

[/url]

·
Premium Member
10,196 Posts
I'm certain I've mentioned this before, but I have 42 dogs currently working. Over half of those are from rescues, shelters, dog pounds or from owners that bought cute puppies that somehow grew into full sized dogs. It's been my experience there are many dogs in shelters that make great single purpose detection dogs, ie drug, explosives, cadaver etc, it is extremely rare you would find one that makes a good patrol dog. There is an organization in Texas, around the Dallas/FT. Worth area called: Gifted Animal Placement Program (GAP) GAP was started by an ex law enforcement officer that recognized the number of animals that could be used in some service, such as law enforcement or SAR. They train shelter and dog pound employees how to evaluate a dog, looking for those specific behaviors that would be consistent with that type of training. I've recieved 5 dogs from them, 4 are in my current drug detection class. One is being trained in Search and Rescue for FEMA. They are a 501 3C Non profit organization. Although they did offer the dogs to us free of charge, I insisted on paying an adoption fee. I think it is a very worthwhile endeavor.

DFrost

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
David Frost said:
I'm certain I've mentioned this before, but I have 42 dogs currently working. Over half of those are from rescues, shelters, dog pounds or from owners that bought cute puppies that somehow grew into full sized dogs. It's been my experience there are many dogs in shelters that make great single purpose detection dogs, ie drug, explosives, cadaver etc, it is extremely rare you would find one that makes a good patrol dog. There is an organization in Texas, around the Dallas/FT. Worth area called: Gifted Animal Placement Program (GAP) GAP was started by an ex law enforcement officer that recognized the number of animals that could be used in some service, such as law enforcement or SAR. They train shelter and dog pound employees how to evaluate a dog, looking for those specific behaviors that would be consistent with that type of training. I've recieved 5 dogs from them, 4 are in my current drug detection class. One is being trained in Search and Rescue for FEMA. They are a 501 3C Non profit organization. Although they did offer the dogs to us free of charge, I insisted on paying an adoption fee. I think it is a very worthwhile endeavor.

DFrost
It is indeed, and it's also a very worthwhile endeavor to post
this message on this kind of board. Spread the idea! Isn't it
wonderful to find jobs and futures for dogs whose owners have
abandoned them?!

THANK YOU!

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Shhhhhhh....don't tell anybody, but my current FEMA dog in training came from a shelter in NJ. I saw him on Petfinder too!

He's a GSD-Malinois mix and was an owner turn-in. 10 mos. old when I got him. Very nice dog with loads of drive! Sure was a lot less money than I spent on my imported Mali. $100 tax deductible donation. I couldn't believe what I was seeing when we went there to assess him.

I also have a friend in KY who runs a Labrador rescue. She places a heck of a lot of dogs with assistance dog foundations, search and rescue trainers, and police depts on a regular basis. Its a great program!

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
Konnie Hein said:
Shhhhhhh....don't tell anybody, but my current FEMA dog in training came from a shelter in NJ. I saw him on Petfinder too!

He's a GSD-Malinois mix and was an owner turn-in. 10 mos. old when I got him. Very nice dog with loads of drive! Sure was a lot less money than I spent on my imported Mali. $100 tax deductible donation. I couldn't believe what I was seeing when we went there to assess him.

I also have a friend in KY who runs a Labrador rescue. She places a heck of a lot of dogs with assistance dog foundations, search and rescue trainers, and police depts on a regular basis. Its a great program!
I looooove posts like this. My daughter with earth dogs also works with Out of the Pits. Placing a dog who needs a job with a trainer/handler who needs a dog is so cool. I want to get in on that at some level.

·
Premium Member
10,196 Posts
<<<I also have a friend in KY who runs a Labrador rescue. She places a heck of a lot of dogs with assistance dog foundations, search and rescue trainers, and police depts on a regular basis. Its a great program!>>>

I'm not far from KY. If I PM you and give you my business phone, would you pass it to your friend. I use a lot of rescue dogs, particularly labs, plus, I'm in contact with many of the police agencies in my area that also look for dogs on occasion.

DFrost

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
*nods* My Mal was $90 who came from the shelter I volunteer and foster for. He might have a touch of GSD in him as well, but eh...I remember reading his Petfinder profile saying that he was shy and would probably always be. HA! YEAH RIGHT!!! I think they must have done that eval right after they adopted his brother he came into the shelter with at age 3 months as strays. He also had kennel cough, which also makes a pup be rather lethargic too. Zoso may never be a Sch III titled dog or anything, but at least I didn't drop a grand or more on him! :eek: :D He seems to be doing quite well with sport tracking and obedience so far, protection is coming along slowly but then again, I wasn't great at martial arts when I started, and I've been a black belt instructor for 3 years, so slow and steady wins the race, right? He's a house pet before anything, so anything in addition to his ability to drive me crazy is just a bonus. :)

Connie with a C (LOL), you might want to ask around the GSD, Malinois, Dutch shepherd rescues. I know Malinois rescue likes to have people volunteer to ID them in the shelters and whatnot as they are unfortunately jumping big time in popularity. You could maybe do a bit of drive testing as well in case someone wants a rescue one for sport or SAR or whatever?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts