Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes - 'tis the season for porcupines, and we nailed one this weekend. My "casualty" is recovering nicely but had quite the mouthfull of quills. Ever notice how porcupines only seem to work weekends and evenings? I think they are in cahoots with the vets....

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
Yes - 'tis the season for porcupines, and we nailed one this weekend. My "casualty" is recovering nicely but had quite the mouthfull of quills. Ever notice how porcupines only seem to work weekends and evenings? I think they are in cahoots with the vets....

Yes, I have noticed that.

My granddog had a run-in with a porcupine and insisted, with a face full of quills, on going back into that log. Twice. He had to be pulled out by the tail and back legs.

At least normal dogs (not working earth dogs, or maybe just not Border Terriers) quit pretty fast.

Can he eat OK?

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
OMG, that's one varmint i haven't dealt with yet, thank heavens!! what do you do about eating after the quills are removed? there isn't much prepackaged "soft" food left on the market that's safe to feed, is there?

·
Registered
375 Posts
We had a German Shorthaired Pointer get a porcupine. It was awful. We were out camping so we called our vet back home. I was on antibiotics at the time and he said to go ahead and share them plus aspirin with the dog.

I don't recall the dog having problems eating after all the quills were removed.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"Ms.Pincushion" wasn't a very happy camper yesterday but I think that was more due to the anesthetic. She had more quills inside her mouth than outside but managed to woof down her dinner just fine tonight(ground raw) and is enjoying getting antbiotics (in a weiner) and being a house princess.

Skunks should be getting pretty active now, too. Frogs are out as I noticed a couple of casualties in the dog yard today ( well- parts of casualties anyway...) Turtles should be out soon, too - which is always good for a little barking mayhem as the dogs figure anything moving that slow is pretty suspicious.
Squirrels and chipmunks are providing the "interactive toy" function as always.
The grass is finally starting to green up and the dogs are grazing like cows.
Spring is here for sure!

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
I think Bob Scott has had *lots* of porky-terrier experience! :lol: :lol:
I know a number of terrier workers tha have had to retire dogs because once a terrier gets a face full, it often goes to war on the stick pigs, sometimes to the point of ignoring all other quarry.
Unknow to many people (vets included) is that dogs can die from a very heavy blast from a skunk in the ground.
When a terrier is hit underground we put them on an IV right away to flush the kidneys. They may be fine tomorrw but a day or so later can die from toxic shock.
Same as with stick pigs, some dogs have to be retired after getting skunked.
The smart ones are very obvious when the are in skunk avoidance.
Digging out a skunked dog is really a nasty job.

·
Premium Member
10,196 Posts
<<<When a terrier is hit underground we put them on an IV right away to flush the kidneys. They may be fine tomorrw but a day or so later can die from toxic shock.>>>

I swear I would have never known that. Who says an old dog can't learn new tricks.

DFrost

1 - 8 of 8 Posts