Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone witness what they felt was poor judging(scoring low on one dog and giving top marks for an obvious weeker dog) Or is this a handler excuse for there dog not scoring as well as they had hoped.:-({|=

·
Premium Member
10,196 Posts
Mike, I can honestly say I've seen that happen at police certifications/competitons. Well I guess I should say, it had all the appearances the "fix was in".

DFrost

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Some handlers think their dogs are better then they really are. I've been down that road before - hopefully I'm over myself now;) ...I like to call it the rose colored glasses syndrome.... Some trials I've been to, as a spectator, left me thinking that some judges are really in dire need of some type of glasses.:smile:

·
Banned
11,728 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
in the PSD trial circuit around here, i have seen it first frickin hand. i did one trial with my first dog. my first ever trial. in the handlers meeting when discussing the area search, the proctor told us, "to get maximum points, we want the dog to bark on the alert". so i figure i'll take him at his word. big mistake. we're removed from the search until it's our turn. i send my dog and about 20 seconds or so into the search, i could tell he was in odor and i could have called the alert with about 90% accuracy, but i wait. he circles around the car once, trying to find a way to get in, and then eventually barks. i think our time was like 35-40 seconds. so then i get to watch other handlers. what do they do? they're calling their alerts the second the dog is in odor. you had guys with like 10-15 second finds. so i'm thinking i'm golden because none of their dogs barked. WRONG.

with this same organization, i competed in a trial last year. again on the frickin search, they told us the same thing (this was about 4 or 5 years since the last one i did). fug that. i wasn't buying it. i figured if the dog didn't bark RIGHT AWAY, i wasn't waiting. for this trial, they didn't separate us, they let us watch so basically it was a known hide as long as you didn't go first. so i watch a few. they send their dog and after they call the alert, people are going up to the dog, putting the leash on and heeling the dog away. exercise over. so i send the dog out, he searches and quickly locates badguy. he barked right away so i didn't have to worry about whether or not to wait. after i call the alert, i call the dog back to me (you're supposed to stay in the designated area while the dog is searching). what do i get on my scorecards? "dog leaves find" with various point totals deducted. WTF. I CALLED HIM AWAY FROM IT.

a buddy of mine competed in this same groups trials for a couple years. his first year, he didn't win $hit. the next year, he's winning all kinds of trophies. i knew the dog. trained with him every week. it was the same dog. maybe a tad bit more polished, but basically the same dog. why so many trophies the second year? he got to know everyone in the circuit. organizers, competitors, judges. he was now in the "in" club. basically your first year is a throw away until you get "known".

now you know why i like to travel 13 hours to arizona to compete down there...

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
At both Nationals recently (USA and WDA) it was amazing to see some of the big guns get away with body language that others lost points for double commands.
Any sport, dog or human, that requires a "Judgement call" will have all the political bs that goes along with said "judgement call".

·
Banned
11,728 Posts

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
At both Nationals recently (USA and WDA) it was amazing to see some of the big guns get away with body language that others lost points for double commands.
Any sport, dog or human, that requires a "Judgement call" will have all the political bs that goes along with said "judgement call".
This goes beyond sport too. I see this type of thing at USAR certifications.

Pretty sad.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Some handlers think their dogs are better then they really are. I've been down that road before - hopefully I'm over myself now;) ...I like to call it the rose colored glasses syndrome.... Some trials I've been to, as a spectator, left me thinking that some judges are really in dire need of some type of glasses.:smile:
That's type 1 dog handler... then there's type 2 - me - who is never ever happy with ANYTHING. :lol:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts