Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, is there really such a thing? I had a guy tell me once that a PSD K-9 handler threatened him by telling him that if he had to "temperament" test his dog things might not turn out well for the dog. I don't know if this guy was being truthful but, regardless, can anyone comment on this alleged practice? Thanks.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry for not making that clear. Here is the situation as described to me. A guy was training dogs in a certain part of town with his own dog in his vehicle. The guy became involved in an argument with someone and the police were called. When the police arrived they told him to leave the area. The guy felt he was being bullied by the police and began arguing with them. The "discussion"between the guy and the police officers became a little heated but nothing physical was happening. The guy's dog was witnessing this nearby in the car. The dog became agitated and began barking aggressively. A K-9 officer, who just happened to be there, told the guy he better leave or they might have to temperament test his dog and that if they had to do that the results might not be too good for the dog. At that the guy felt his dog's safety was being threatened and got in his car and left.

I don't know the guy and for all I know he might be totally full of it. Regardless, could an LEO do such a thing?

·
Registered
759 Posts
Perhaps its a local thing?
Otherwise, they were probably just blowing smoke to get the dude to beat it.
Here and in most areas that I'm aware of as long as you have proper control and containment of you'r dog, there is no issue. The only situation that involves formal temperment testing that I am aware of are for a) dogs that are in shelters and being considered for adoptable or not to the public- like you've seen on Animal Planet. b) Dogs that have already bitten or have recieved complaints about being aggressive and allowed to run at large. If they feel the bite was unprovoked and testing supports this, they can euthanize the dog. If dog is just aggressive with no incident all they can do is plead with you to get rid of it or fine you for improper containment.

-Kristina

·
Premium Member
10,196 Posts
I'm not sure what the officer meant either. We do test any dog we would like to train, prior to procurring it, but that is a temperament test to see if he/she has the required behaviors. The behaviors, of course, are dependant upon the tasks the dog will be trained to perform. I think in your scenario, it was the officers way of telling the guy to move on.

DFrost

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Like I said, I don't know the guy and his story didn't add up. I've never heard of such a thing and apparently neither have any of you. So I think I have my answer. Thank you.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Sometimes you pull out anything you can to get a situation controlled. You never know whether it was the officer or the individual with the dog who was out of line.

The best defense you have against a bully officer is to know the laws, but again, sometimes as an officer you do what it takes to keep a situation from escalating.

It would have been interesting to know what the officer would have done if the guy had agreed to the "temperment testing". THAT could have gotten ugly or embarassing....depending who was bluffing. :oops:

-Kristina

·
Premium Member
10,196 Posts
<<<Regardless, could an LEO do such a thing?>>>
We have to look at the facts. The police were called, they just didn't show up. There was a complaintant. There was an argument, and one of the persons arguing continued that argument with the police. Actually, I'm surprised, reading your scenario, after the subject was told to move on, that he wasn't placed under arrest for obstruction of justice or creating a disturbance.

[or] To carry it one step further. If the guy refused to move on, the person could be arrested for creating a disturbance (or as we affectionately call it, "misdemeanor stupid") the vehicle impounded and the dog sent to animal control. The officer could state the dog appeared "out of control". At that point, Animal Control could well test the dog. Seems far fetched, but could happen.

DFrost

1 - 8 of 8 Posts