Working Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious for those folks that use a pinch collar, how old was your dog when you first introduced the pinch collar, is 7 months to young?

·
Registered
227 Posts
I started about 18 months. I dont need it anymore as I moved to an ecollar, my dog is way more responsive to it and doesn't shut down like he does with the prong. I would likely not use one again unless I had a severe issue. Have you looked at the "dominant dog collars" on the leerburg site? I am anxious to talk to someone who has used them, they look like they solve alot of collar position problems

·
Registered
6,999 Posts
I started about 18 months. I dont need it anymore as I moved to an ecollar, my dog is way more responsive to it and doesn't shut down like he does with the prong. I would likely not use one again unless I had a severe issue. Have you looked at the "dominant dog collars" on the leerburg site? I am anxious to talk to someone who has used them, they look like they solve alot of collar position problems
Hi Kat,

Dominant dog collars are great for choking a dog out or
what I call "isolating the behavior" You lift the front feet off the ground and when the dog runs out of air, he quits fighting/struggling. They are worthless for any kind of correction.
If you decide to try one, Google nylon choke or nylon slip collar.
The same collar for 1/3 the price :)

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Depends on the dog. When I start young dogs on it I NEVER use it as a correction. I let them use it as a correction, in other words they will correct themselves if they pull hard against me while walking. I never use it as a correction devise until the dog is trained right from wrong and understands right from wrong. Need to be fair with the dog.

G

·
Depends on the dog. When I start young dogs on it I NEVER use it as a correction. I let them use it as a correction, in other words they will correct themselves if they pull hard against me while walking. I never use it as a correction devise until the dog is trained right from wrong and understands right from wrong. Need to be fair with the dog.
So you putting a prong collar on the dog is not using it as a corrective device? Or is the young dog putting the prong collar on it's own neck by itself and then using the collar to correct itself? How do you train "right from wrong" exactly? How young is a "young dog" 8 weeks? 8 months?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was planning on using it for heeling work along with fine tuning sit's and downs and some other basic obedience work for schutzhund. My dog does them but he is lazy about them so I'm looking to correct that behavior.

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Vin Chiu, You have alot to learn. If you think a young dog or for that matter an older dog can and will put a prong collar own it's self and correct its self, I have a bridge that goes to Europe I'll sell you.

Come to Ga. and sign up for handler classes and then I'll teach you.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I do the same Jerry when i first put on a prong on a dog in class i always put it on both rings so it is not a choke collar, and then i let the dog do the work , most pull against it , dont like the feeling stop pulling i praise, I dont POP them on the prong until they are understanding how they can turn of pressure themselves, and are now not minding the feel , some dogs i will POP right away as they could give a shit about having a prong on, so i get a bit tougher..

i think 7 months is fine to start the dog off ,
I will put them on young dogs 4 months or so , just to stop yanking on thier neck and so on , sometimes it s just easier, and the people dont want to put the time into traiing, so its a easy way to get nice heeling,

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Very well said and exactly how it was described to me by our TD.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I start at 6-7 months, of course depends on the dog and the lesson- agree with what Jerry said- no correction until the dog understands the lesson first....apply the equipment appropiately, use it correctly and be fair.

·
Registered
372 Posts
The right age would be when the human feels like it.

What Howard said; Nothing works better like great and clear instruction. Tools can cheapen the instructional skills!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I started using the pinch collar on my mal at 5 months of age, because he was getting really out of control. He's very pain/correction resistant.

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
I started using the pinch collar on my mal at 5 months of age, because he was getting really out of control. He's very pain/correction resistant.
So what is "out of control?"
We put kids on drugs b/c parents don't want to learn how to be parents...OOC dogs...love to know more!

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I wish to share some current prong noob musings.

I started acclimatizing my mal pup to the prong at 5 months, I would have her wear it for a time, but never attach it to any leash. She was fully dragging me everywhere by then and putting herself into that "zone" by doing it. You know that "built my own drive" zone that mals are good at.

I could certainly get her to walk loose on the lead for short distances with no distractions, and had started to do some change of direction stuff on a flat collar, teaching her to pay attention. The reality of getting my dog places I need to on lead made it so I couldn't manage things the way I wanted to until she was fully trained not to pull.

I thought I would use the prong just to aleviate the pulling. Just let her pull against it, and "self correct" as has been discussed here.

I started by doing some leash pressure work, a la Michael Ellis, figuring it would be good intro to the prong, and could be useful for heeling later. It went well.

So in the real world the prong has cut down on the pulling for sure, but it has in no way stopped it. She has no problem walking with some pressure on it, the line is not slack by magic. If there is something she really wants she has no problem pulling hard on it. She might give a little head shake/or not, but will pull none the less.

In a couple short weeks it already seems like she is building a tolerance to it. She can pull harder on it with no effect. Not something I want.

I also have been thinking about superstitious behavior and wondering if when she sees a kid, and would love to rush up and visit, and instead meets with the annoyance of the prong, does she associate it with what she is pulling towards? Is that something I should worry about? I dunno.

I also find that though my goal is to not "pop-correct" with the prong at this age. But... if she makes me frustrated, and she is wearing it, there is an increased chance that might happen:oops: Even if she doesn't understand fully why. I am pretty patient, but not perfect.

So...all this said, I have backed off the prong use some. I am trying to do more engagement work in public and some more actually teaching her not to pull in the mean time.

I still do need the prong occasionally, to get from point a to b without being fully dragged, but am really thinking a little more about it now.

Like I said, just some musings. No real advice here.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts