Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any tips on how you can pass the BH with a civil dog?

I saw this at a site I was browsing:

12 people crowding around the dog in a tight circle and staring silently...
My dog can normally take crowds of people and so on, but this is probably too much for him. :| He sets off at direct confrontation. He's fine doing obedience under distraction, around other dogs. I'm hoping there's no exercise that requires him to be petted by a stranger out of sight of the handler?

I'm not looking to get high points in Schutzhund but I do want him to get a few titles under his belt before we move on.

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Have you ever seen a BH being performed? It's alot easier than walking thru PetSmart, generally when the dog comes near the person, the person stands still looking away ignoring the dog, and they're not tight like a new york crowd so you're not squeezing between people with your dog. The biggest thing working against you is that if your dog sees a grass field with people and goes into bitework mode, it'll be harder to get your dog under control than casually walking city streets. I'd just get lots of practice in and get the dog to focus on you on a training field with a few people and keep increasing the number of people if it's still a problem. Dogs should all have a "knock it off everythings OK" command.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If I'm there and in direct control of him he's okay. He's fine as long as nobody is directly staring and being "personal" with him. The thing that bothers me is I've heard people say that the traffic part of the exercises vary with each judge. I suppose I can just choose not to do it if the exercise is the type that would set him off. He's only a year old and he's been calming down a lot, so I suppose give or take a couple of years he can do it.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
It isn't going to hurt anything to give it a shot. Like you said, you can always stop if you don't feel comfortable. If he fails, you can always try again later, and then you should know what to expect and prepare him for.

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Lyn, I'm kind of with you though Zoso is not confrontational. I think before I want to either attempt to trial him for his BH, I'd prefer to at least watch a trial. Even though our club's next trial is next month and if I really pushed him, he'd probably be okay, I'd like to visually see one on home turf before we try it. Plus no hurry at their age either. :)

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
Being civil has nothing to do with the training a BH requires IF the dog is properly trained. Just because it may be civil, if that's truly what you're seeing, is completely different from being out of control.

Now if the dog has weak nerves (I have no idea) that's a whole new thing. JMHO!

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
The obedience is always the same thing. It's just like the OB in SchHI-II-III except it's done once on lead and once off lead. I-II-III the OB is just off lead.
The traffic portion is up to the Judge and what's avaliable.
The dog has to walk within 10 or so ft and ignore another dog tied out by itself. A bycycle is ridden past the dog as is a car door being opened in the dogs path.
I've seen a video of judges using bulldozers driving by the dog. I've seen a portion of the traffic portion done at a filling station.
The bottom line is a dog with sound temperment (and training) is going to breeze through it. It's a simple pass or fail. No score.
A serious bada$$ should have no trouble if the handler does a good job of training.
An unsound dog is another story.

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
I should clarify that the obedience is the same in the heeling pattern with a moving sit and down. No moving stand, sendout, retrieve.

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
I just reread about the dog being one yr old. They have to be 15 months (I think) to do the BH.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah. I won't BH him for a long time yet, actually...probably not until he's two or two and a half.

His heelwork is superb, as is his overall soundness. It's only direct confrontation with people (eye contact, forward motion...I was particularly concerned about that 12 people crowding and staring that the site mentioned) that he'll have problems with, if the judge decides to do any of those things. He's okay once he's corrected, but of course I don't want anyone bitten, and it only takes once.

Sounds like everything should be fine in general.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Newbie question! :D We did something at practice this morning for all the dogs planning on trialing for their BH where the dog is next to the handler in a sit about a dozen people in a circle facing the dog walked in towards the dog in a close circle then backed away. This was repeated 2-3 times and then done with a down. Then the dog was called out of the circle after the handler had stepped away. Though I'm not trying to trial Zoso probably until the spring, we did it anyways and he was fine (other than wondering why there were a lot of people right next to him not giving pets). Is this also part of the test or just something to try as I hadn't seen it before. Was meaning to ask, but I had to leave early as the in-laws were coming into town!

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
Maren Bell Jones said:
Newbie question! :D We did something at practice this morning for all the dogs planning on trialing for their BH where the dog is next to the handler in a sit about a dozen people in a circle facing the dog walked in towards the dog in a close circle then backed away. This was repeated 2-3 times and then done with a down. Then the dog was called out of the circle after the handler had stepped away. Though I'm not trying to trial Zoso probably until the spring, we did it anyways and he was fine (other than wondering why there were a lot of people right next to him not giving pets). Is this also part of the test or just something to try as I hadn't seen it before. Was meaning to ask, but I had to leave early as the in-laws were coming into town!
Yes, I have read that this is part of some judges' tests.

Here are two nicely detailed descriptions of the BH test which our club has been using for reference. (I hope the SchH-knowledgeable folks here will speak up if these descriptions are faulty! :lol: )

http://www.bigskyschutzhund.bizland.com/bhbook.htm

http://www.geocities.com/colosseum/loge/4844/BH.html

Here is a quote from the first one:

QUOTE: I have never gotten around to adding some of the many different things I've seen judges do. Dropping metal food pans on concrete behind the dog, 12 people crowding around the dog in a tight circle and staring silently... END QUOTE

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have seen a few judges do the circling and crowding thing. Some judges just have a group stand around the dog, some have them crowd in really close. My male likes people, but is not a big fan of the crowding. I just practiced it as an obedience exercise where he has to look at me in front position. If he passes his BH next month, I'll let you know if it worked or not. :eek:

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Maren that was the same at one of the trials I was at. I have seen it done other ways also. It's really up to the judge. I also agree with Bob. A stable dog will not have a problem. If the dog is one year old then train for the worst case. If he is not stable enough through the training don't put him in there and have people think he is and get them bitten.
JMO

1 - 20 of 24 Posts