Working Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all

I would challenge the more experienced and informed of all of you to create a wiki in order to document latest-and-greatest info on the range of dietary, training, and behavioral issues you all have such great experience addressing. Link something like that to this site so you have a reference point to which you can refer people interested in \"good\" sources of various information as written by various experts relative to the concepts. The goal would not be to replace great sources of knowledge on the web but group them together in an easily accessible format.

This could be as \"democratic\" as the spirit of this forum...I guess the most immediate example might be Connie posting a variety of links and info to diet concerns, from a variety of inputs/websites...and be editable by any users.

This would serve as a nice archive of reference for newbies like myself and be organic and flexible based on changes in various perspectives on canine training. I think you would be amazed at how quickly something like that would grow in a very positive way, and how \"accurate\" the data would end up being.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Only in alabama, Bob!

A wiki is a webpage that anyone can edit that is used as a workspace. Best example and probably the coolest website ever is www.wikipedia.com...go there, search for german shepherds, you will see what I mean. And if you see something missing or that you know to be wrong, change it! The. effect of many people doing this produces something very accurate and robust...and very objective and inclusive!

Wikis can get started for anything, I am saying do that for working dog topics and you would create a wonderful resource for yourselves and others.

Sorry for the grammar, I am typing this on my blackberry.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tell you what, guys, train my dog and I will teach you what your kids and grandkids are doing with all those new-fangled electronic gadgets they carry around. I have been looking for an opportunity to add value...bob, I will make you the subject matter expert for wikipedia's JRT page in no time.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hil, some of your benelux cell providers sell them...they are a sick addiction more than anything else...it's the only way I can get advice from you all when I'm walking the dog. :wink: www.rim.com

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
I used to have a Sidekick (similar to the Blackberry)... I got rid of it and went with a \"normal\" phone, I was finding myself addicted to using the internet more than talking to the PEOPLE SITTING NEXT TO ME :p

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
Woody Taylor said:
Only in alabama, Bob!

A wiki is a webpage that anyone can edit that is used as a workspace. Best example and probably the coolest website ever is www.wikipedia.com...go there, search for german shepherds, you will see what I mean. And if you see something missing or that you know to be wrong, change it! The. effect of many people doing this produces something very accurate and robust...and very objective and inclusive!

Wikis can get started for anything, I am saying do that for working dog topics and you would create a wonderful resource for yourselves and others.

Sorry for the grammar, I am typing this on my blackberry.
OH! I use wikipedia as a reference tool ALL THE TIME and I didn't even know how it worked!

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Connie, that's how it works...and you or anyone else in the world can go in and change anything you see on those pages. Just go to the \"edit\" tab.

If you think I'm kidding, go to the German Shepherd page and enter \"American GSDs are generally regarded as more beautiful than their German counterparts\" somewhere in the text....anywhere. I bet you it's corrected by someone else very, very quickly, and only for presenting your opinion, not fact! It's great.

Having said that, it's not nice to abuse it...but amazing how well the community polices itself!

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
Woody Taylor said:
Connie, that's how it works...and you or anyone else in the world can go in and change anything you see on those pages. Just go to the \"edit\" tab.

If you think I'm kidding, go to the German Shepherd page and enter \"American GSDs are generally regarded as more beautiful than their German counterparts\" somewhere in the text....anywhere. I bet you it's corrected by someone else very, very quickly, and only for presenting your opinion, not fact! It's great.

Having said that, it's not nice to abuse it...but amazing how well the community polices itself!
This is astounding to me, because the info I have netted there has been authoritative and generally EXCELLENT.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay, check out the links at the bottom of the GSD entry... :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_Shepherd_Dog

We'll see how long it stays up!

That's the beauty of it Connie...instead of one smart person writing about a subject you have a BUNCH (1000s) offering up their one little bits...there are some basic rules about not posting opinions, and some hardcore volunteer moderators (you think you know some tough ones!) that keep things from getting crazy, but other than that...just pure world brain power.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Forgot to add some group did a study of Wikipedia's overall accuracy by sampling lots of entries--it's at least as accurate as the Encyclopedia Britannica and much more thorough in depth of content. Over a million entries. All volunteer in the last few years! And people really think those things through...some of those pages have thousands and thousands of separate edits and editors.

Edited to say it's pronounced \"wick-e\"

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
A cool site that I've read many times. The links to the rat pits have always been some of my favs. Nothing like rat hunting on a hog farm. Whe the action starts, silver duct tape helps keep them from running up your pant legs. :eek: :lol: :lol: :wink:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts