Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those of you with outdoor kennels, how do you deal with your dogs not barking everytime they see or hear a neighbor? Bark collars? What about when you get home late at night and go to let the dogs out of their runs n they go ballistic barking and jumping around?

·
Premium Member
21,867 Posts
Although Thunder has a kennel, he has free run of the yard at night. Where I live, I want people to know that he has access to the outside AND inside of my garage/workshop.
Although he's one of the noiser dogs in the neighborhood, most people have dogs to alert on the boogy man. No problems here!

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
I didn't like the bark collar for a number of reasons. We live on a corner lot of a high traffic area, it's a pain, she gets riled up when I'm gone or if she's just bored or if there are dumb dogs walking back and forth or...worse, she's in an elevated position relative to the sidewalk, so she thinks she's queen bee. Deepest barks I get out of her. :roll: But I also kind of like the idea of people walking by my place and getting a few nice deep ones at ear level out of my dog, I go back and forth about really correcting barking like that.

I'll let it go CHEAP if anyone wants a slighty used TriTronics bark collar.

I will admit to using the ecollar randomly on her longer bark binges; this is probably dumb but so are bark binges.

·
Premium Member
21,867 Posts
I considered a bark collar for his irritating Yip, yip crap when he wants attention. The only problem is they aren't selective and I don't want to interfear with his boogyman hunting.

·
Premium Member
3,751 Posts
They learn young they have to be silent. Only when heavily disturbed, people close to my fence for example, they´re allowed to bark.

The 2 female mal´s wear anti bark collars at the moment, to much barking and not always stop after "danger" is gone. I more irritated than my neighbours though, never heared a complaint (or they are afraid to complain :wink: )

If we are going to training, they bark of exitment..that is about 5 minutes..I let that be, also before going out (all apart, the ones waiting protest sometimes). It is only for about 5 min off and on barking, so i don´t have any troubles with it.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I use bark collars. Only one of my dogs is actually kenneled because she is the one who would destroy my house. I take the bark collars off as soon as I get home and let them all out to frolick and they act excited and my neighbors have never said anything. I also went to the neighbors house when they moved in and exchanged phone numbers. They have little yappy dogs that bark every morning and I just put up with that because I come home late and I figure fair is fair. They actually gave me their numbers when I stopped by and also told me to call if their dogs are a problem. Their yappy dogs don't really bug me though.....its the screaming kids :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
538 Posts
Bark collar. I don't want the dog barking just because there's someone inconspicious passing by--personally that type of thing irritates me. If they come too close and are acting suspicious his stare is enough to tell anyone he means business.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Bob Scott said:
I considered a bark collar for his irritating Yip, yip crap when he wants attention. The only problem is they aren't selective and I don't want to interfear with his boogyman hunting.
Yeah, I struggle with this a lot. I can't tell how to best use my ecollar for "selective" corrections on yapping (I don't use a high stim, and again, not sure if this is right or wrong). Would like input here, I don't want the dog not to bark, just not bark for more than ten sustained seconds before 8am on weekdays and five sustained seconds on weekends before 930am and especially when my kids are trying to nap during the day between 1 and 3. :lol:

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
I'm like Seleena; Jak barking bothers ME more than it does the neighbors I think. No one else in the neighborhood seems to care if their dogs bark nonstop all night long (at the moon no less), or at their neighbors if they are out in their yard, or whatever. I, on the other hand, can't stand it! Most of the better bark collars will allow a few barks before it kicks on, so the dog isn't being corrected for barking; it's being corrected for barking over and over and over again. I used one on Jak at night when he was younger, but not when I wasn't at home, so I got rid of it and now if I need to (like if it's thundering, or if the neighbors are partying), I just use the remote collar. That way, I'M in control of when he's being corrected. I don't mind if he's barking at something he should be barking at, and I can tell by the sound of his bark if he's just barking to be barking, or barking at the neighbors, or barking at the manx cat that goes trotting down the street at 7:00 every morning.

·
Banned
329 Posts
I can't say much about getting them to shut up. I built a two dog outdoor kennel because most of our neighbors had dogs who barked anyway. Huge kennel area for them and always kept two dogs at a time for company. I found that one female barked only when out of the run/kennel and nothing would stop her. Just taking her inside was the only option if she was irritating a neighbor. The dogs always spend the nights indoors with me anyway. Don't have the kennel anymore, moved to a smaller house. A one dog house, LOL

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.