Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=k9riot

This is a dog that can do it all. I am a Malinois fan, but dogs like Chango or Chungo make you fall in love with GSDs. He is sweet, social, extremely confident in all things he does, very civil only when appropriate, hunt drive forever, will pick up anything. His nerves are to die for.

Look at his latest videos at Konnies site.

This was his first on a Rubble pile, no easy conditions for him, slippery as hell from rain too.

He is for sale.

Be at peace,
Bryan

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hey Jeff, any chance for Mondio on the Rubble Pile?

It breaks many dogs. They shut down after the initial burst of drive, and they just realize where they are. It's amazing really.

Bryan

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
We don't usually get the chance to video the evaluation of a green dog for USAR. This was a nice chance to get a some of this process on video - both to show off what this particular dog can do and to generally show how we evaluate dogs for USAR.

It was raining on and off all day, so I didn't get some of the other things we did with this dog on video (didn't want to ruin my new camera!). We ran the poor dog ragged this day, but you can see by the hunt test that even though he's exhausted from all that work on the rubble, he's still pushy and persistent in his hunt for the ball.

And, Bryan is absolutely correct. We see a lot of (even strong) dogs shut down once they get up on the rubble. This is why I'm so adamant about evaluating and selecting the right dog for this work.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i think even the most hardcore mali fans love a good working GSD...

how old is this guy?
>>>>>>>>>>>>

That is a very accurate statement Tim: When you find a great GSD, it's hard to believe what breeders have done to them. They are so easy to bond with and work with. You really pull for them and they you. Malinois are all about the Task. Occasionally, they slow down enough to be pet:)

I don't know if they are more intelligent than a Malinois, hard to put into words. Either way I love this dog and he is two years old.

Bryan

What you don't see on video is Chango nearly killed our camera man, he put a towel over his head to keep the rain off the camera. Well, this dog has taken two civil stake out tests this week for Police Officers, they hide behind a blanket and jump out. I hate the test, but, cops want it done. Now, he has a memory of it. The dog is civil, and doesn't need cue's. But, what can you do, the trainers want to see something and that's all they know?

Happy training

·
Registered
538 Posts
I don't know if you can say GSDs are less intelligent than a Mal...definitely slower, and some people think of speed as intelligence.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
These videos are like a kick in the pants to do somethng more than playing frisbee with Kado. I'm glad its like 90 degrees out today. Otherwise I would have to find an excuse.

Thanks for the video!

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
what a nice dog (for all I know)--reminds me of brix in the hunt drive vid; just keeps going, and you can tell he's tired, until he gets the ball...:)

·
Premium Member
3,443 Posts
I love it, one great big K9 playground :)

This is the kind of stuff I love doing with young dogs. But it's become so much just part of their upbringing, I forget about it. Until something simple happens, like I park backed up to some shale or another weird surface, go to unload dogs, and the dogs I raised all hop right out, balance, and navigate without problems. While the dogs I didn't raise hop out, fall on their side, slide around, and can't quite figure out how to walk safely across it. They figure it out, it just seems weird to have an adult dog who doesn't just "do it".

Looks like a nice GSD, not only the confidence to work on the different surfaces, but the balance for it also.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
They figure it out, it just seems weird to have an adult dog who doesn't just "do it".
This is why I'm always so impressed with dogs like this GSD. I'm pretty sure this boy has ever seen anything like this rubble pile before, yet he approaches it as if he was born on it. My older Malinois was the same way. He was a kennel dog right up until I purchased him at 18 mos. of age. He flies across the rubble as if it doesn't exist and has done so since the first time I put him on it. He wasn't exposed to anything as a pup, as evidenced by his shock and awe at his first experience with a pond.

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
He looks very thoughtful yet at ease, even on the metal. I wish I had been able to do more environmental stuff like that with Zoso, as it's biting me in the butt for agility. All the playgrounds in the parks in town have signs that say no pets allowed on the playground. :( So we never got to do much on that sort of equipment and it shows in agility. He loves the jumps, chute, tunnel, and A frame, but some of the contact obstacles like the teeter and the dog walk he is not at all fond of. I think for the puppy, we may just have to sneak out on to the playgrounds really late at night or early in the morning! Fawkes has been started on rocky hills and some wet river rocks near a creek, but the more the merrier.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
All the playgrounds in the parks in town have signs that say no pets allowed on the playground. :(
We have those signs here too. I sneak out there at off-peak times regardless.

I've learned to improvise too. We have our own agility junk pile here at home and I look for every opportunity to give them an agility lesson while were away from home. Park benches, dugout benches and metal or wood spectator stands make great planks to walk. You can make a puppy see-saw by taking a wide board or pallet and putting a short section of 4X4 underneath it to make it teeter. Just a few thoughts.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts