Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone use outdoor kennels from Options Plus? If so, do you have any close up photos of the gate latch? I can't tell from their photos how they work.

Does anyone know of any alternative brands of NON-Chainlink kennels, similar to Options Plus I suppose? I know about Mason Co kennel products, just curious to see what other options are out there.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Mike, I have 2 platimum series kennels by them. (I purchased one) They are nice & sturdy but rust like crazy & look like S#%$ after only a few months. I purchased mine in early '04 & they looked like I had owned them for 10 years within a couple of months. When I contacted them about it they told me that they had had a problem with their curing process & sent me a new kennel. They didn't want the old one returned due to the expense of shipping it back. (hence the 2nd kennel) Well, the new one rusted up just as fast as the old one. When I contacted them again, they told me that I shouldn't complain 'cause I have a 2nd kennel for free. They did not intend to do anything to correct the problem. Even though I told them that I had not asked to have 2 that I only wanted one that didn't look like crap after 3 months for the anount of money that I paid for it. They were just about $700 when I bought mine. I believe that they are close to $1000 now. That is fine but they look lousey & do not enhance my backyard one bit. As far as the latch is concerned....they have 2 latches...one up at about waist height & the other about 5 inches off the bottom of the kennel. They look like a allen wrench shape or L shape & just fits over one of the cross bars on the kennel. You push it down & it drops over the bar & locks in place.They are connected so that when you push down on the waist high one it moves the lower one also. To open you just pull it up. This design keeps a dog from pushing out the bottom part of the door & escaping. The problem with this is that they rust also & are not easy to get up & down after that. I have one of the doors that I don't open often (other side of kennel) I can't open without hitting it with a rock or something to release it. I have put the 2 kennels together to make a 10 x 20 X 6 high kennel. I don't know if they ever fixed the problem with the curing process, but I suspect not, since a friend purchased one about a year or so ago & had similar problems with his. I will say that the strength of the kennel is most likely unsurpassed but you have to be able to tollerate the look of it. Also, be warry of the divider pieces that they sell...my friend purchased one to divinde his kennel,(its plastic, I think) & his dog chewed thew it. I have a cover also, but it doesn't fit since I have put the 2 kennels together. You might be able to find a better choice elsewhere. I don't know if their other silver kennel have the same problems.

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe they should powdercoat their stuff, that'll last forever. That's crappy that they rusted over so quickly, wow, I'd be pissed. I was looking at the Ultra series, but maybe I'll rethink that now. I have 6 months to research it though so not a big deal. Thanks for the word of warning. I wasn't very impressed with their dividers just from reading their site.

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oddly enough, I get to my trainers house today n he has kennel panels leaning against his existing kennels, they looked pretty nice so I asked him where he got em.... he told me a friend of his bought them for $300 at Tractor Supply :lol: Nice looking kennels, I would want them coated black or something though, the only complaint I have is the 5ft wide door, I would prefer it if the door was 3ft wide or so, but other than that, they're pretty decent kennels for the price.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I own three 5 x 10 kennels

Check out priefert kenneling. It is powder coated and does not requre a singe bolt. I own three kennels that are 5 x 10 and I love them. If you would like some pictures I can post tomorrrow or this evening. EAch kennel panel is right 6' 5".

Here is a link to their website
http://www.priefert.com/

·
Registered
252 Posts
Re: I own three 5 x 10 kennels

All these panels are modular and easy to assemble and take down. You can build 10 x 10 kennels or 5 x 10 get doors on the big panels or small panels. It is very modular and nice stuff. It can be found at a horse supply place.

Daniel Cox said:
Check out priefert kenneling. It is powder coated and does not requre a singe bolt. I own three kennels that are 5 x 10 and I love them. If you would like some pictures I can post tomorrrow or this evening. EAch kennel panel is right 6' 5".

Here is a link to their website
http://www.priefert.com/

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Those look exactly like what I've been trying to find. I don't intend on kenneling my dogs outside permanently, but kennels can be very handy when you don't wanna go inside to grab another dog or a guest comes over with a dog that you don't wanna stick in a crate, or just giving a dog a little more freedom beyond being stuck indoors in a crate.

Thanks for that link!

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Mike Schoonbrood said:
Oddly enough, I get to my trainers house today n he has kennel panels leaning against his existing kennels, they looked pretty nice so I asked him where he got em.... he told me a friend of his bought them for $300 at Tractor Supply :lol: Nice looking kennels, I would want them coated black or something though, the only complaint I have is the 5ft wide door, I would prefer it if the door was 3ft wide or so, but other than that, they're pretty decent kennels for the price.
By about eight sheets of that damn stable mat stuff and mount it on rebar. Looks like hell and would take a nuclear strike.

Mostly I just want to watch somone besides me try to load one of those drywall sheets from hell in the back of a car.

·
Registered
252 Posts
picture of priefert kenneling

Here is a picture of one of the priefert kennels up under my deck. I have horse stall matts in the bottom to protect the pads. I also made a roof for it. I leave Chuck out there at night. the dog you see in this picture was my showline Simba. I sure do miss him. I sent him to a family member in Florida because he was not going to make it on the Schutzhund field. I ended up w/ a working dog named Chuck who rocks in the bitework.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Mike, I think if I am not mistaken.....they are powdercoated. And yes the kennels look junkie...but I can't afford to replace them. Oh by the way...the guy that I spoke with at Options told me that I could get some spray to remove the rust & them spray paint them. He was a BIG help !!! :evil: My friend ended up painting his. I was reluctant to do that, because I don't want my dogs eating the paint if they should chew on the bars. Not that the original paint wouldn't come off, but I was told that it was curred on & that it wouldn't come off that easily even if the dog should take a bite or two. But I am sure that they lied about that just like everything else. I would never purchase anything again from they. Just their cavalier attitude about my complaints after spending almost $1000 with shipping & all was very disheartening. :(

·
Premium Member
10,196 Posts
I have all my kennels built by a local fence company. They are 8' x 10' with the gate on the 8 foot side. They do what they call a full welded panel and use 9 gauge commercial chain link. I've have kennels in service that are still solid after 15 years. They cost 425.00 dollars each. We place them on a 9' x 11' concrete slab. Stick in an insulated Igloo brand dog house and voila', dog kennel.

DFrost

·
Registered
252 Posts
I sent him to my cousin in Lakeland, FL. I meet her in Atlanta. It was very hard but two males do not mix. I now have a working male and female. The working female is only 11 weeks.
Mike Schoonbrood said:
That's a good looking kennel. Where in Florida did you send your showline?

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Lakeland isn't too far from me, I've trained at a Schutzhund club a little past Lakeland in Plant City before. Does he do anything with the showline or is he a pet now?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts