1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
That dog is awesome and the guy is clearly an experienced trainer that loves what he's doing. Throwing the dog was nothing to the dog, i love that little dog! I'm gonna go outside and see if layla will let me throw her :lol: :lol: ,

AL

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Al Curbow said:
Throwing the dog was nothing to the dog

Granted the dog landed perfectly in the video, but if it were me, I'd be scared my old heave-ho would land the dog just little too short of the other side...as in the dog meets it's demise at the bottom of the moat! :oops:

Andy.

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
Cool little dog! Obviously well trained. The only thing I can find fault is the heeling. Although very correct, I prefer to see a dog heel with power, not with it's ears back and tail down. I think the heel exercise tells a lot about the training methods.
Yeah, I know it doesn't have squat to do with the dog's bite work. Just one of my little quirks. :D :D

·
Registered
632 Posts
I agree with Bob on the heeling. I really am not too picky on heeling unless for Schutzhund, but it always looks better to have the dog looking like it's ready to just take off at any moment.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Yep, it does. My pet dog will heel pretty perfectly, but I've never been able to get anything flashy out of her. She doesn't look up at me, and doesn't prance around, but she stays in position and her tail wags. Just because a dog doesn't prance and dance around with its neck craned up like a sport dog doesn't mean it was trained with harsh methods or whatever. I used treats and praise to teach her to heel.

Here are a couple of videos of her. I haven't done anything formal like this with her in probably two years or so, so it isn't 100% perfect. She breaks a down, and she's never really 'gotten' the whole 'return to heel' thing. She thinks it means to scoot her butt towards heel position. :lol: She isn't a competition dog, though, so I don't really care. To be honest, I don't think she did half bad to not have done any of this stuff for so long. I also taught her hand signals, which I use in these videos. Both are pretty much the same, but one of them shows the 'emergency down.'

Edited to say: She is a chow/pitbull cross.

·
Registered
538 Posts
The thing is you can't expect every dog to work like a drivey, hard German Shepherd. If the dog is very handler sensitive even just short pops on the leash that in other dogs would load them up would push them back. The way the dog in the video worked seemed pretty much the norm for pit bulls as I've seen it. And he looks as though he's been trained with pretty similar methods. I like that dog by the way. I don't think it's fair to assume anything unless absolutely necessary. :roll:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts