Working Dog Forums banner

Obedience

2K views 26 replies 11 participants last post by  Robert Blok 
#1 ·
Some pictures of my male dobe Rommel taken today, we are working toward a BH in February. He is 14 months old right now. He is also the first dog I have ever trained, first BH....so it should be interesting.

Start

Heeling

More Heeling

Heeling (He was forging a little...we had just done an about turn)

Sit out of motion

Down out of motion

Recall

Recall -Putting on the brakes

Recall-Finished Product

Heeling

Heeling

Long Down (He thinks he is a spectator to the other dog on the field....he will stay no problem....but he doesnt always watch me like he should.)

There was another thread about the "Ivan Method" thats what I use with Rommel, and I really like it.

See less See more
#6 ·
Because it's an accomplishment for her, for many of us here.
Because she's having fun doing it.
Because her dog looks good doing it.
Because it's something she wants to do.
Because, because, because. Mostly because it shouldn't be something that needs to be rationalized.

Maybe you should stick to the socio-political implications of floods and blizzards tonight. That seems to be working out pretty well for you so far.

#9 ·
Jeff Oehlsen said:
Rommel is a popular Rott name as well.

So now send us pics with a ton of distractions on the field so we know that you are ready for your BH.

On a side note, I cannot see why they need to get so carried away with a low end title like the BH.
Jeff.......Just for you.....I think I will go do obedience in the Starbucks parking lot tommorrow (yes, we have a Starbucks...were not that *******) They all know Rommel there anyway, he got a cup filled with whipped cream and caramel for his birthday from all the Starbucks girls :D The Starbucks parking lot, is also the mall parking lot, which backs up to a major road. Would that be enough distractions?

#15 ·
Connie Sutherland said:
Woody,

Not much in the way of flat fields where you are?
We have a hill.

I actually have a fine (if illegal) place for Annie, I'm two houses off of it, take a gander:
Pearl Park

Nah, that NC coastal stuff is shorter grass on sandy dirt stuff, really would be nice, maintenance-wise I would think, for a dog field. Plus I could get about 20-30 more yards of roll out of a ball. Wear Annie out quick. Wondering if NC stuff is harder or softer than our black dirt stuff up here?

Interesting. Well, no, not really.

#16 ·
BTW....Thanks for all the nice compliments everyone. I have wanted to string him by his toes a few times, but he has been the perfect first Schutzhund dog for me.

That field we are on is actually the "community soccer complex" which happens to be only a few streets over from me. I like to ride my bike down there (with rommel attached of course) go do obedience, then ride home. Im really lucky it is so close..its HUGE! They also have a wooded nature trail surrounding it that we can go for a walk on afterwards.

#17 ·
The first step was Sch 1 when I did the sport.

I have watched some BH's in the last few years. Depending on the judge, HUGE differences in what would pass.

I am not a huge fan of making the first steps quite that carried away. Plus, I have had some hellacious dogs that were outstanding dogs that there is no way they would have passed the traffic portion of the test until they were like 5 or 6.

Took me that long to explain to them that if they put their mouth on people without ME saying so that their lives were gonna suck.

Besides, everything should look good, but not have to be real polished or finished at this level. No need to tighten the screws up this early

At the 3 level, you should get hammered senseless for incorrect OB, but not the BH. Keeping a dog screwed this tightly for that long is pretty silly. Besides the dogs that can are sort of not what you are wanting if you want to perpetuate the breed.

#19 ·
Jeff Oehlsen said:
The first step was Sch 1 when I did the sport.

I have watched some BH's in the last few years. Depending on the judge, HUGE differences in what would pass.

I am not a huge fan of making the first steps quite that carried away. Plus, I have had some hellacious dogs that were outstanding dogs that there is no way they would have passed the traffic portion of the test until they were like 5 or 6.

Took me that long to explain to them that if they put their mouth on people without ME saying so that their lives were gonna suck.

Besides, everything should look good, but not have to be real polished or finished at this level. No need to tighten the screws up this early

At the 3 level, you should get hammered senseless for incorrect OB, but not the BH. Keeping a dog screwed this tightly for that long is pretty silly. Besides the dogs that can are sort of not what you are wanting if you want to perpetuate the breed.
Just for the record, Rommel will never be used at Stud. Not for my female, or any female. He is not of bloodlines or temperment that I would breed. He is a sound dog, he loves bitework, has a good nose, and makes a wonderful companion, but he will never make babies. I will go as far as I possibly can with him, but no matter how far that is...it will just be an accomplishment for us, and thats it.

#21 ·
Jeff Oehlsen said:
I was just encouraging you to do it under distraction, and that zI have seen some judges make the BH out to be the world championships.
I know Jeff. I just like giving you a hard time. Also, I agree...there is a huge difference in judges from what I have seen also. Some come down HARD on obedience, whether it is a BH, I, II or III doesnt seem to matter. I dont nessicerily agree, but then again...I dont make the rules.

My goal is to go knowing that I did the best I could with my dog, if we F*** it up...we F*** it up. But I will know its not because we didnt know it, or practice it. I'm not much for half A$$ing things.

#22 ·
My dogs 1/2 brother rolled around on the field for most of his long down. Never got up though, and I think he passed. That would be OK for me at the BH level.

He is level 2 in MR now. Really nice dog, has the same father as Buko, and I really wish I could of talked Vora out of Augustas house the day that I saw her. Didn't work for me too well. Damn.

#24 ·
actually, I agree. when you get into SchH III, I can see the reason why little things should be important, but really - who cares how fast the dog sits in his sit in motion for a BH? It's not even a real title, just a prerequisite. I thought the original goal was to show that the dog was a 'traffic steady dog', not an obedience title.

But your dog looks great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.