Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This questions is for those that have had experience with the National odor recognition test. I have noted it can be a real problem with (dog missing odor) if he doesnt learn to put head in can. So it almost becomes retraining to get this behavior. The question is do you do anything different in foundation training to cover this or any effective methods.

·
Premium Member
10,196 Posts
I was given an opportunity to provide input relative the NORT several years ago. They really didn't like my input very much. My problem is, I'm not going to train my dogs on a simpler task than what they are required to perform. If they want to test, then by god test the dogs, call it a certification. It seems they are afraid to do that. It's also funny that neither the Secret Service nor the TSA has anything to do with that test. In my opinion, you are correct. You are retraining your dog. Training that does nothing to really improve the proficiency or durability of a dog. They want everyone to jump on board this program, they insist it's not a certification, then dangle some federal money (they'll pay for it) but in and of itself, what does it really tell you. That you have trained your dog to sniff cans and respond to certain odors. I pass that stage of training generally by the 4th week. I really prefer not to go backwards.

DFrost

·
Premium Member
10,196 Posts
ATF came up with this one. TSA has, in my opinion, the toughest certification standards among the explosives detection community. If the Feds really want to ensure the reliability of EDD teams, then let them put some money in that program. It's funny the three primary federal agencies can't agree on a certification.

DFrost

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is from DOJ (dept. of Justice) put together by ATF. It is requirement on some Gov. contracts and is offered to many others. My understanding is the goal here is to have a standard that a given dog can detect select odors with a minimum scent threshhold. Hence the specified qaunity tin in a can in another can. What this does my opinion on some odors vapor never makes it beyond the lip of cans. So if dog doesnt take sniff directly in can will easily walk. The pain is training this behavior (on expierienced dog that has been fine to this point) you may create behavior changes to repair after testing. (dog now thinks he can mouth and touch everything).

Dan Reiter

1 - 5 of 5 Posts