Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New GSD pup arriving in September. Breeder (Mike Diehl in Indianapolis) will be doing some initial work prior to my receiving the pup.

After pup is home but before actual training, anyone have a favorite book or video?

Thanks!

Ted in Michigan

·
Banned
11,728 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
I really like excelerated learning by Pamela Reed.
It's kind of hard reading, assumed acroynyms and such, but worth the effort.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jeff you neglected to tell me about favorite videos. The Matrix, for example...

Anyone like the Frawley videos?

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's funny!

The puppy philosophies he has seem relatively safe and reasonable. Nothing to extreme.

I'm mostly concerned that I don't miss critical impression periods (if any) and don't condition him incorrectly from the start

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi Ted! Welcome aboard. Who is your pups sire? My hubby has a pup from Eick. We could not be too pleased with his progress.;) We did not actually purchase our pups from Mike. We bought our pups from Houserhaus, who uses Eick as a stud alot.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi,

The sire is Basco who won the USA Nationals in 2006.

When you say "we could not be too pleased with his progress" is this a good thing or bad?

·
Premium Member
3,751 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Glad to hear you are finally getting your pup Ted! Haven't heard from you in a while, everything going OK?

How old will your pup be when Mike gives him to you?? Why not take the pup at 8 weeks? You don't really need to do much with a pup at all, just go out and socialize. I have 2 pups right now who are almost 5 months old and learnt "sit" 2 weeks ago, and they are teething so I can't do squat with them for another few months. If you are taking the pup at an older age because you are worried about doing something incorrectly with him, don't worry about it, take the pup at 8 weeks and just bring him everywhere and don't get mad at him for being annoying and peeing in the crate alot ;)

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey Mike!

Things are going well, and have been busy.The pup will be 8 weeks when I get him in September.

Leerburg recommends not allowing the dog to view non-pack (non-family) as fun / pleasure. Same with other dogs. The pup would view non-family people and other dogs as neutral. Not a source of fun, and not a threat at this time.

So one thing I wonder about is the socialization aspect.

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
(((( Anyone like the Frawley videos? ))))

I like them...based on the fact that there's not much else out there to choose from...
I have some, and I like them very much, on their own OR compared to others.

The Basic Obedience video (the updated one) is very good for a pet new owner, because it covers all aspects of how to live with a dog; Raising a Working Puppy for a working dog....

I have "assigned" Basic Ob #302 to owners whose dogs I work with.

I can't give reviews of all of them, but I have nothing negative to say about any of the ones I have watched.

Well, maybe length -- but that's a very small issue, IMO.

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
Leerburg recommends not allowing the dog to view non-pack (non-family) as fun / pleasure. Same with other dogs. The pup would view non-family people and other dogs as neutral. Not a source of fun, and not a threat at this time.

So one thing I wonder about is the socialization aspect.
Even with that philosophy, I think that what Mike recommends about "take the pup everywhere" is more like exposing the pup to all kinds of sights, sounds, smells, etc., as well as enhancing the bond between you and the pup.

Is that right, Mike?

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
I have ALL of the Leerburg vieos ;D

There's so much info in them, it wil make your head hurt!

I don't recommend the tracking videos. They will make you afraid to track. They will also make you dizzy.

Building Drive, Grip and Focus is really good.

I do recommend Raising a Working Puppy. Sorta common sense stuff to me, but to somebosy new it would be really helpful.

My favorite is Competition Heeling with Tom Rose.

The handler training for SchH titles ones are must-haves if you are not working with a club.

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Yes exactly, Socialization is somewhat of a incorrect word for what it actually is. Socialization in working dog terms is more about exposure than it is about socializing with people. You want your dog to see, smell, feel, jump on, walk over and hear as possible, just dont go too overboard because if you fire a gun 10ft away from a pup it can go either way, so dont go too much too fast ;)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts