Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thank you to Mike for inviting me to this forum. I've enjoyed reading a number of member bios, and also reading several training related discussion threads. This looks like an awesome group!

LOL - as a person who has to be constantly reminded that I was given two ears, and only one mouth for a REASON...I will try really hard to keep my bio brief. :)

Hubby Gary and I met nearly 9 years ago, and married a few months later. I knew he was the "right one" for me when he loved my rescue dogs - a Shepherd/Chow mix and a retired Greyhound almost more than me from the start.

In the all too common theme of "Ready, Fire, Aim" we bought a GSD (german show lines female) pup 3 years ago, and THEN started learning about SchH sport. Once we figured out what SchH really was, we couldn't find a training situation we were comfortable with reasonably close to home. We would NOT send our female to Germany to buy some titles, so we are proud of her SchH1 and KKL1 earned (away from our home with a trainer) right here in the good old US of A. She is back home with us now, and Gary looks forward to working on the SchH2 with her.

Meantime, we found an excellent trainer willing to drive to our neck of the woods every week. Our 2nd GSD show line (male) has been handled by Gary from the start - under the guideance of a trainer we have really come to respect. He turned 2 years old at Thanksgiving time, and we hope for a BH, and maybe even SchH1 next season.

Pics and too much stuff about all 4 of our current dogs (a rescue mutt Cleopatra, a rescue Beagle Buck, and both GSDs) can be found here: http://www.godtw.com/Mittelwest/Kimba/DogsToWork.html

My personal labor of love is the work I do for our training group www.JolietSchutzhund.com. Our focus is SchH training. Schutzhund is such an amazing and demanding sport - for the dogs and the handlers. It's truly a test requiring a very broad range of skills from both the dogs and the handlers. I enjoy meeting people and dogs from many walks of life - all with the common goal of learning along side of our dogs.

I take a special pleasure in supporting the potential work capabilities of show line GSD's, and encouraging the people "in that world" to place higher value on quality work.

This is way long enough for now! Thanks for listening, and I look forward to getting to know everyone better.

·
Premium Member
10,196 Posts
Welcome Ms Beth. I too think this is a great collection of folk. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

DFrost

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
I am very happy to have you here, too, Beth!!!

There are many SchH folks here, along with ring sports, PPDs, PSDs, SAR, service dogs, and much more!

Welcome! :D

·
Registered
382 Posts
Welcome Beth. I am owned by two dobermans and a boxer. Glad to have you. :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
New slide show - done with awesome free software!!

Joliet Schutzhund is primarily a collection of newbie handlers trained by (IMO) a really awesome trainer. We recently added a slide show to the web site. Our picture taking around here is not consistent at all - we go months with no pictures, and then someone will bring a camera - and that is quite evident from the new slide show (probably 3/4 of the pics are from one day, and those aren't necessarily balanced between participants and/or activities - no TR, lot's of OB, limited PR!).

If you like looking at pics, enjoy the show for better/worse. If you are looking for a way to add slide shows to your own web site, the software is free on-line, and Gary says for a free package, mighty easy to use. You can click on any picture to get to the logo/link for the software.

Enjoy! (or not!)

Beth

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Kristen Cabe said:
Crazy? I was crazy once..... :lol:

Welcome to the group. Kudos for trying to improve the working abilities of the show lines!
First, thanks Kristen and Mike for the welcome!

Kristen... SHHHH!!!! Here's the secret to success with the show lines. We don't TELL them they are show lines. If we did, they would probably head straight for the sofa and never get up again. There are a couple of working lines whose coloring makes them look a bit like show lines...and we don't tell them there might be a show line in their wood pile either. :D BIG SECRET!! ;)

I wish the Hovawart and the full boxer contingent would have been here on our Recent Rare Kodak Day.

Now if the weather would just get at least 10 degrees warmer, my world would be perfect.

Beth

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Kristen Cabe said:
I hear ya about the cold. I'm sick of it already.

What kind of fursaver collar is that on Ferguson?
We have more collars around here than Carter has little bitty pills. I'm assuming you might be referencing the one in his head shot on his personal brag page? If so, that is a standard "show collar" used in the conformation ring for most of the dogs (exceptions for young pups - there are some alternate designs for them). And PLEASE don't tell Ferguson he's ever been in the show ring. :)

The dogs are supposed to pull out in front of the handler in the ring, and that design prevents "choking off" of their airways right in the front where the "wind pipes" are.

I cut my teeth in the conformation ring, and "ring training" is SO much easier than SchH training. If any working dogs are in our area next season, and want to do the best possible job presenting in the ring (after doing all of the MUCH more significant SchH work!) for a show rating and / or breed survey individual, we'll be happy to help. IMO, too many nice working line GSD's end up with G's instead of SG's, SG's instead of V's (working class) or more importantly KKL2's instead of KKL1's just over some relatively simple ring training. (and an SV judge willing to give a fair shot to the working dogs).

I would be happy to share what I know about that ring BS to the many nice working GSD's out there, in exchange for whatever help I can get on the SchH side of it.

I know this is a long post in response to a simple collar question....hope I read it all right!

Beth

1 - 20 of 36 Posts