Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I start a new class of drug dogs, May 29. Nothing like planning ahead. I wanted to start the class in February, but the admin thought May was better. Nothing like training dogs in June, July and August. I'll have 7 dogs in this class, 4 GSD's, 3 Labs. The GSD's will continue in patrol dog training later in the year. The 3 Labs were provided by the Gifted Animal Program in Dallas Texas. You can check them out at; http://www.gapdogs.org/. A very good group of folks. I drove out to Texas last week and picked them up. Three Labs, 1 black, 1 yellow and 1 chocolate. 6 of the dogs are for our department and 1 is from a neighboring small police department. Since our training is free, it's a good deal for them. The GSD's were purchased from various vendors. I'm pretty confident we have some good dogs, don't know about the handlers yet, I'm sure they'll be tired of me well before the 10 weeks is over.

DFrost

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
I start a new class of drug dogs, May 29. Nothing like planning ahead. I wanted to start the class in February, but the admin thought May was better. Nothing like training dogs in June, July and August. I'll have 7 dogs in this class, 4 GSD's, 3 Labs. The GSD's will continue in patrol dog training later in the year. The 3 Labs were provided by the Gifted Animal Program in Dallas Texas. You can check them out at; http://www.gapdogs.org/. A very good group of folks. I drove out to Texas last week and picked them up. Three Labs, 1 black, 1 yellow and 1 chocolate. 6 of the dogs are for our department and 1 is from a neighboring small police department. Since our training is free, it's a good deal for them. The GSD's were purchased from various vendors. I'm pretty confident we have some good dogs, don't know about the handlers yet, I'm sure they'll be tired of me well before the 10 weeks is over.

DFrost
What a great org!

Love that Davey.... grinning for the camera.

So the neighboring department just has to send their handler and dog and you train them ...... that sure is a good deal.

·
Premium Member
10,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, we offer the service to any law enforcement agency. The training is free. They can stay at the Training Center, if there is no academy class going on, free as well. The only thing their department is responsible for is paying their officer's per diem and providing the dog. I do approve all dogs though prior to entry into the class. They have to allow thier officer the time to attend the class. The training is at no cost to them. We also conduct their certification and will continue it annually, if they adopt our documentation system. It's free as well.

That Davey is a good one. All three of the dogs in that photo were obtained from GAP. Although I'm not a particular fan of Rotties, the one in the photo really is a pretty good dog. Very calm and stable.

DFrost

·
Registered
415 Posts
David~
I guess I am in the dark, but is this through a business or Law Enfocement Agency? It sounds great, I wish that there was more stuff like this when I was an LEO. Maybe if I go to the links I'll answer my own question. Summer isn't the ideal time in a hot climate though. ~Justin

·
Premium Member
10,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Justin, I'm an officer with the department and the trainer. I don't do any private training.

DFrost

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
i saw on the news tonight that some of the sioux city/woodbury county k-9 handlers went to a trial in MN last week, 4 (i think) of them finished in the top 10. the 3rd place dog was a dog obtained from the sioux city humane society (Nitro-EDD; nice name, huh?).

·
Premium Member
10,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is a neat name for a EDD. Two labs I took out of a local pound are drug dogs I named them, Liberty and Justice. I think the next one I get i'll name, Forall.

DFrost

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
Not to change the subject, but those pictures of Katrina bring back ALOT of memories.

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
That is a neat name for a EDD. Two labs I took out of a local pound are drug dogs I named them, Liberty and Justice. I think the next one I get i'll name, Forall.

DFrost
That's just wrong David! :lol: :lol:
My old neighbor's two sons were Mathew and Mark. There two dogs were Luke and John. :rolleyes: :lol:

·
Registered
674 Posts
My first general purpose dog was a solid black shepherd named "lucifer"! As soon as he arrived at our instillation my Provost Marshal said in no kind words change that F!!#%^&*_-+=??/!ng name immediatly!!? So he was called "Luke" for short.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts

DFrost
The dutchie I recently sold to be trained as a narc detection dog was named "Stash." I named him that because he would hide his tug toys. The name seems to fit his current job though!

·
Registered
4,168 Posts

DFrost
yeah, it seems appropriate, doesn't it? but would you explain to "old dopey me" how "Forall" fits a drug dog? i'm definitely missing somethin here:-( i DO get "Stash" however, even if he was named in complete innocence...:-\"

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
oh DUH!!!!!!!! ok, i'm going to go do an appropriate task for a mindless drone: mow the yard. please someone delete the last 3 posts........:(

and i thank you....

·
Premium Member
10,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ann, I promise I'll only snicker when you aren't watching. ha ha.

DFrost

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
where's that "bashing head on wall" icon when i NEED it????????? or the "red-face" or the "suicidal" ???

oh--we don't have suicidal, do we? or do we? and where is it????

·
Registered
674 Posts
> AAAAAAHHHHH!! I get to rub it in again David! I am finishing a class of (1) team again, so few headaches, no voice loss for hollaring obscene language toward every student, or sore arm(s) from throwing the chain, as well as weekly trips to stress and anger management counseling!!

> Oh, I have another class again in June, (1) dual purpose team. Dog was picked out at Lackland a !!#%^$&*_-+=?// (malanois)!! So you should easily have your revenge while I am losing it and being threatened by the bosses to be carried out in a straight jacket!!

·
Premium Member
10,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The new class started today. Four shepherds (2 GSD, 1 Czech, 1 Mal) and 3 Labs. Two of the Shepherds and the Mal will continue on into patrol dog training this fall. Today was Orientation, Safety, Care of Dog Kennel and Equipment. Tomorrow is dog assignments, principles of conditioning and first aid. We'll also get the dogs out tomorrow and groom and play a little. Not that I'm counting, but I have 3 more classes scheduled, after this one, before I retire. Ahhhh yes, the time flies when we are having fun.

DFrost

1 - 20 of 48 Posts