Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I purchased a female American Bulldog pup with Joshua Kennels lineage, but NOT from that kennel or any kennels related to Mr. Miller. Unfortunately, the pup was a kind of last minute purchase as I had only weeks prior lost my A.B. to cancer rather suddenly. Also unfortunately, the 2 pups left of the litter were 3 & a half months old & they were not socialized by the breeder except to be with the dam & play about the property with family/friends coming & going. I adopted her anyway hoping for the best. At first (first couple of weeks) she was VERY shy & would bark or growl or freeze in new situations. After spending additional $$ for three weeks of professional Board & Train, she came back better after extensive socialization, and is making progress since, slowly but surely.

I read in the standard that only "excessively" shy dogs are disqualified & reading books re: the breed, some say there are pups that are shy but gradually build up confidence as they mature with continued socialization.

Currently, I'm taking her to group obedience classes & am also working with a private trainer on occasion. I did NOT buy her to be a working dog, but merely a SAFE COMPANION, as my former A.B. was.

At five months old now, she still is a bit hand-shy & does bark if a new person comes to the house though she has never attempted to snap or show teeth & I am PRAYING she never will. She also does a lot of scraping of her hind legs after after urinating which I thought was rather young & think barking(?) at the door seems rather young as well(?)

Do you think if I keep exposing her to new situations & training, she should be a safe girl, or does her behavior & a somewhat lack of good socialization between 8 to 14 weeks means I'll have a problematic dog?

PLEASE help....again, she's 5 months, very physically beautiful, & making progress - but does she seem to "dominant" and/or too "shy" to you guys to be a good pet?

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have had working (P.P) dogs that started barking at new comers by 7 weeks or younger.
Dogs that never enjoyed or sought attention from newcomers.
Some that would scrape the ground after urination.

In my own dogs this has never resulted in a dog I could not trust to include in most social situations/activities.
But with out seeing the dog, I doubt anyone should try to answer that.
Is she handler focused and biddable? Does she seek your approval?

Training is communication. Show her what you want, and the benefits of complying.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you....it took me a while to get back on here as we were moving. I have (since that post) continued to socialize her & she is considerably better now at 7 months of age. She is exceptionally sweet with me & my husband & all those especially who she met once before. She likes other dogs a lot as well. She tends to have more confidence whenever her "big brother" is with her - a five year old German Boxer...he's big & VERY confident in all situations. Let me know, if you would, if there is anything else you might like to impart.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.