Working Dog Forums banner

Nature vs. Nurture

899 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Hil Harrison 
#1 ·
I don't know if we'd had this discussion yet. To what extent do you think nature has compared to nurture? I know I've heard the term "he either has it or he doesn't" before, how true have you found this in your experience? Can training make up for something a dog is lacking (especially for real world purposes, not sport)? What do you think about a litter wherein one puppy turned out sound and stable, the other not-so-good? At the very end of the spectrum, why do you think that someone can say this dog and so and so is crap, while another will say he is excellent, EVEN when both parties train for the same purposes and have been having relatively good results?

Just trying to spark some friendly discussion here.

#2 ·
Training could make up for something lacking in a dog but in the real world purposes I think its important that the dog has it in him. Training is just enhancing whats in there already and leading it in between good lines. If for example a dog is lacking in certainty, it could get more self assurance with training but if in a real world situation that dog has to go out and do his job on the spot. It cant be uncertain for example if being a police dog.

I think in the litter question about one pup more stable that another, it does occur yes and I think that will always be the case. One pup will inherit a lot more than another and is more prone to certain reactions than another but pups are individuals too. Breeders try to keep the lines up to standard but its always a wait to see how the pups will inherit.

why do you think that someone can say this dog and so and so is crap, while another will say he is excellent, EVEN when both parties train for the same purposes and have been having relatively good results?
maybe because their expectations in training and drive for succes are different. :?: Also maybe because someone will see in another some good techniques even though they are less fanatical in ambitions and training? One persons goal and standards in training qua achievement are not always necessarily those of another but it doesnt always mean that one is better than another. As long as your enjoying what you do and your dog is too I think everyone should just do what they want to do. :wink:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.