Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Premium Member
10,192 Posts
I know there are private companies that provide drug detection services to different companies, schools etc. Certification is primarily for court when it involves the technicalities of search and seizure. Unless you were working as an entity of a government agency, these would not necessarily apply. Having said that, I'm not familiar with any organization that certifies civilians. The one I'm a member of does not. I'm not certain about the other police oriented agencies however.

DFrost

· Premium Member
10,192 Posts
<<<with but to get the real thing to proof on you can't get as a civilian.>>

Actually, a civilian can get a DEA license to possess schedule drugs for canine training. You have to register as a "researcher". There is some red tape that must be untangled, but it can be done. Contact you local DEA Office and request a registration form, or you can contact the DEA Office in Washington DC and request the form. You'll need to fill out the application and complete a protocol. The protocol outlines what drugs you'll need, quatities, how they will be secured, inventoried etc, custodians and what they will be used for. The DEA does waive the registration fee for law enforcement agencies. Private citizens or companies will have to pay the fee. I think it's something like $150.00, but don't hold me to that figure. The point is, it can be done.

DFrost

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.