Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to find the best nail clippers for my GSD. I have bought several pairs here and there but they are all crap. All links and recommendations are great appreciated.

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
A Dremel tool. $20 at Wal-Mart for the lowest speed rechargeable battery sort.

·
Premium Member
21,868 Posts
Ditto on the Dremel!
There is a web site that gives great pics and descriptions on using the Dremel on nails.
Something like Doberdawn.com
Anyone here know what I'm talking about?

·
Premium Member
21,868 Posts
That be the one! Now I can get it back in my list of favs! Thanks Susan!

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
A Dremel tool. $20 at Wal-Mart for the lowest speed rechargeable battery sort.
ok, NOW i'm going to have to go to my favorite pawn shop and see how low they'll go.....:)

i do have a favorite pair of clippers though; i've had them nearly 20 years, never even tried to have them sharpened, and i can literally shave nails so thinly that you can see thru the shavings. and all it says on the clippers is "767 stainless millers forge italy", so i can't even help much on that!

but i always thought the Dremel method looked good--just never got around to buying a Dremel (ie, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality).

·
Premium Member
21,868 Posts
Dogs seem to fight the dremel much less then a clippers. I'vs always felt the clippers caused more pressure on the nail then a grinder. Just be careful with a long haired dog and the dremel. If that's the case, slip the foot into an old piece of panty hose. The nails will poke through and the hair will be held back.

·
Premium Member
21,868 Posts
Learned that one when I showed terriers in the breed ring.
Wrap their hair in a dremel and they really get pissed! :eek: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thx for all the replies. I have a dremel in the garage and it is a variable speed and should work fine. It is not cordless but it should work the same.

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Double check that website that was posted but you want it on a lower speed than most Dremels have, otherwise it gets too hot for them. I don't usually keep it on the nail longer than 3-5 seconds.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Just be careful with a long haired dog and the dremel. If that's the case, slip the foot into an old piece of panty hose. The nails will poke through and the hair will be held back.
good tip bob, but, ummmm, does anyone WEAR pantyhose anymore? other than to keep warmer in cold weather? wonder if the pawn shop has any?.....oh, oh, i know!!!!

estate auctions!!! there HAS to be used pantyhose in the box you buy for fifty cents!!! =; =; :lol:

·
Premium Member
21,868 Posts
good tip bob, but, ummmm, does anyone WEAR pantyhose anymore? other than to keep warmer in cold weather? wonder if the pawn shop has any?.....oh, oh, i know!!!!

estate auctions!!! there HAS to be used pantyhose in the box you buy for fifty cents!!! =; =; :lol:

Used? YUCK! :-& :lol:

·
Registered
375 Posts
I just KNEW there'd be some comments about pantyhose with this group. :) I'm surprised we didn't end up with some kind of funky picture of a pantyhosed pup!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts