Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Banned
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here she is asleep in the vehicle on the way home, a two hour drive.

I love her body structure.

The front paws are not as white as they look, they are a creamy colour right now.

Here she is with the cat, I am already teaching her not to bark at her, because the cat doesn't mind her around when she is quiet, she is showing good respect but want to play and meet the cat up close and personal, lol

Last pic, just a cute one.

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
Very nice pup!
I've seen pups with that much blanket and still mature into a saddle back.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Jak looked just like that as a puppy, minus the white feet. He's certainly no bi-color now!

At 4 months:

Now, 3 days shy of 17 months:

What's the deal with the white feet? Just curious.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Liz,

I do like the looks of your new pup! 8) I am still a fan of Black and Tan GSDs.Sometimes its nice when everyone doesnt ask what kind of dog you have.Or if its a "shepherd mix".

Greg

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
People still ask me what kind of dog Jak is sometimes. I'm like, how can you not know what a German shepherd looks like? It just blows my mind. I also still get funny looks when I tell people his age. Everyone still thinks he's just way too small to be as old as he is. :roll:

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
My vet has Lÿka down as a "Shepherd Mix" in their system, I dunno if it's because they can't manually type in a breed and have to choose from a list or if it's because they didn't hear me the 30 times I said she's a Dutch Shepherd :lol: I've been asked many times if Cujo's purebred, n when he was a puppy people asked me if he was a Miniature Shepherd !?!??!? Go figure.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Bob Scott said:
Very nice pup!
I've seen pups with that much blanket and still mature into a saddle back.
Wow, I didn't realize it could be so dramatic. Annie will stay, I think, constant...hope so...I like her look quite a bit. I know she's not gonna be a saddleback but I like her colors now.

Annie at 8 weeks:

Annie at 14 months:

·
Banned
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, the general public has no idea what a Dutch Shepherd is. But when they see them they think they are gorgeous dogs anyway.
My new Pup - Bella, is not a Bi-colour. Bi's are all black with only tan on the very bottom of legs, no tan anywhere else. And they never get the gray hairs through their black sections at all. If you see any markings around the eyes, forehead or underbelly then it's not a Bi.
She's going to end up a similar look to the puppy/dog pictured above, they do look quite similiar.
She's great, I can see so much in her personality already, she's got my old Black GSD's prey drive, the East German Tonka's level head, and my Anni's bravery. Can't wait to see what she becomes. She's going to be very civil, that I can see already. I can't describe the behavior, but I saw it in another dog before. It's something to do with the way she acts. Sorry can't explain, just see it.

·
Banned
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Woody, my last female was named Anni, after the Anni GSD that was one of the foundation GSD's in the first four ever bred to get what we have now. It's a great name. This new pup is named Anni-Belle because I went and tatooed Anni's name on my wrist when I sold her, to always remember her. Well at least now I have another Anni to go with that tatoo, lol. It's just the braclet type of tatoo. No regrets, I was in a good mood when I did it. LOL.

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
Bi-Colour - the saddle covers almost all of the body and leaves only foot and possibly face markings.

both of my previous dogs were considered "bi-colours" by people i know in the GSD community...

·
Banned
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I always saw it described by breeders as no face or head marking, no tail markings, only bottom of legs below the knee. I never heard it the other way. Good to know.

·
Banned
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh my god, Tim, nice dog !!!!!!! I almost never see a dog who places their whole body on the perp/target. Most sport dogs you see hanging off the sleeve with the rest of their body out in the air. I really like the power and deployment in a dog's mind who put's his whole body on the guy, That's how you take them down, :D :D :D

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
Liz Monty said:
Oh my god, Tim, nice dog !!!!!!! I almost never see a dog who places their whole body on the perp/target. Most sport dogs you see hanging off the sleeve with the rest of their body out in the air. I really like the power and deployment in a dog's mind who put's his whole body on the guy, That's how you take them down, :D :D :D
i believe the dutch call them "blockers". pasco was a great dog. very easy to train. picked up new things very quickly. i think he had the perfect temprament in a PSD. he was accepting of petting from strangers, but didn't seek it out. i miss him...

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Now I'm confused. What's black and tan, then? Is that just a subjective categorization?

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
Woody Taylor said:
Now I'm confused. What's black and tan, then? Is that just a subjective categorization?
black and tan is the traditional "Rin Tin Tin" look. well defined black saddle, rest is tan kinda thing...

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
What I've always heard referred to as a bi-color is a German shepherd with rottweiler markings. Any more tan than that and they're considered a black and tan.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts