Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...for the next 1 or 2 days. He's a 20 month old red sable called Kimbo. He's got drive up the wazoo, a great obedience dog, excellent focus on the man, a good police prospect, if it weren't for his issue with tile floors, and he's not too crazy about stairs I discovered tonight, n he's never seen carpeted floors before but he's OK with those other than them smelling like Cujo :lol: He barks at everyone in his crate n tries to bite your hand when you put your hand up to the crate, even his handler, but once you open the door he's the friendliest lil snot you ever did see. I'll bet you $1 that the guys who raised him in Germany intentionally made him very crate aggressive, but who knows. He gets to sleep in my garage tonight n we go to work on his tile flooring and staircase issues in the morning. This is also a good opportunity for me to see how Cujo reacts to another male dog in the house, I crated Cujo in the bedroom n walked Kimbo around n I could hear Cujo starting to growl :lol: Damn dogs. Oh well, this should be interesting. I see alot of potential in Kimbo but he just needs lots of exposure, he acts stupid around stuff he's never seen before the first time, but the 2nd time 2 seconds later he totally ignores it. He's never even seen a TV before either so he was staring at his reflection in the TV earlier too :lol:

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yanno, I kinda wanna keep him, but my trainer is also kinda thinking of keeping him, but if he gets over his issues with slick floors then he'll probably be sold to police unless I buy him. I still have my reservations against buying an adult dog, I like raising my dogs from puppyhood, sure it's a crapshoot, but at least I know my dogs history. Kimbo can be hand shy n stuff like that, if I toss an ice cube at him he won't catch it he'll let it hit him in the face n close his eyes n almost act like I was gonna throw something at him in anger, then he'll chase the ice cube on the floor. We'll see, I get all the inside info, if I catch wind of him being sold, I can jump in :lol:

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
Sounds like a lot of issues to work but you've already got your hands full.
A 20 month old male in your house could be a bundle unless you have a kennel situation.
Ursa isn't working out here. She gets over things if I work at it, but that's just not what I want in a dog.
Good motivational obedience. Good bite work but just to nervous with new people an dsituations.
To many years with $#!+headed, in yer face terriers I guess. LOL!

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Kimbo is gorgeous! I just love the red sables! Good luck with him. It took Jak a while to figure out how to catch things in the air, but he figured it out eventually! Could be that Kimbo has just never had things tossed at him that he was supposed to catch. He looks very DDR-ish. Maybe he just needs some time to mature. :twisted:

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Don't tease! My cats already hate me for Jak, and my husband would probably divorce me if I bought another dog right now! :lol:

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Andres Martin said:
Mike...you need to call and make an appointment with K9 Anonymous...

:lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: Nah I'm just doing someone a favor, but I love dogs, so it's hard for me to try and not get attached. I'd really like to see this particular dog go to a good indoor family home though.

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
Jeff Oehlsen said:
Obviously I haven't kept up. Who the heck is Ursa???? Mal, or that other silly experiment mastiff thing :p :p
Jeff, Ursa is my 7 month old Mal pup.
She's a sweetheart, but that's not why I wanted a Mal. :lol: :lol:
She just doesn't have what it takes.

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, Kimbo went back to kennel life tonight, and reverted back to his old self... wouldn't shut up in the kennel n looks like he wants to kill you when you go to let him out. I really want him to find a good working home as a family pet/Schutzhund dog, but I can't take it upon myself to take in all the cool dogs that can't find the home I would want them in :lol: I'd have 30 dogs by the end of the year.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Bob Scott said:
Jeff Oehlsen said:
Obviously I haven't kept up. Who the heck is Ursa???? Mal, or that other silly experiment mastiff thing :p :p
Jeff, Ursa is my 7 month old Mal pup.
She's a sweetheart, but that's not why I wanted a Mal. :lol: :lol:
She just doesn't have what it takes.
Aww, I ended up giving my mal pup away for the same reason, Bob. He got a nice home with horse property so he is doing well.

·
Banned
11,728 Posts
Buko wouldn't bite as a puppy, and look at the little jerk now. :roll:

Sorry to hear that, but time is on your side. 7 months is a fear period and nothing should be judged too harshly at that age. It isn't a GSD you know :p :p .

What the heck do I know though, I haven't heard anything about her pretty much since you got her. How about some video of her working? That is the interesting stuff, not "watch my dog mash the decoy again" That gets old after a while and gives everybody a complex. :wink:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
She's confident on the field and with all the obedience, bite work and club members but I'm just not used to any kind of fearful dogs. Terriers and an awesome GSD can do that to ya! :lol:
We fired up our propane heater the other night at club. When it popped as it lit, yoou would have though she was going to be eaten. She was a good 20ft away.
I've commented to Connie in past PMs that (one of) my Achilles heel is being totally baffled and frustrated trying work with a spooky dog. I can handle individual nerve issues with a dog, but genetic spooks are another story.
I'd much rather work with a dog that wants to bite me in the face just cause it thinks it can. :lol: :wink:

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
:lol: :lol: In my case it's classic avoidance. :lol: :lol:
I hate nervous dogs!
Speaking of nerves!
I went to the GSDCA-WDA SV Nationals today. First time for me to see show dogs "work". All Eurpoean style GSD. Not ASS dogs.
80 dogs did the protection routine. Most were SchH III. I might have take 3-4 home.
Helpers were definately toning it down, yet there were a number of dogs that wouldn't even engage.
Getting a "Pronounced" rating consisted of outing and not running back to the handler.
I really seems to me that there is no effort, beyond getting their show ratings, for many of these people to work their dogs.
All it did for me was to expand the gap between working and show line dogs. Sad!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts