Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I'm gonna check my tentacles when i get home!

Woody, there's something wrong with you..... :lol:

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Parasitoid animals are seriously creepy but cool. There is one species of wasp that stings a cockroach to immobilize it, then injects a substance to get its legs moving again, but only under the control of the wasp. Then the wasp walks the cockroach by the antennae like a dog on a leash back to a little hole in the ground. The cockroach's metabolism is then almost shut down thanks to the wasp's neurotoxin but keeps it still alive where the wasp lays eggs. The larval wasps then eat the immobilized cockroach alive. YUM! Neuroethology is fascinating...

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Yes, I remember fire ants all too well when I lived in Georgia. I hope the phorid fly works better than some other species introduced to control pests or just to make the land look pretty like kudzu and starlings. :evil:

·
Registered
595 Posts
Yeah, we humans are good at mucking things up with our "we-know-better-than-Mother-Nature" attitude. We brought the stupid fire ants here to begin with. :roll:

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
Connie Sutherland said:
Woody Taylor said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWB_COSUXMw

Yuck, man.
If Woody posts something that HE says "yuck" about, there is no way in heck I'm gonna look at it.
Strange! I have just the opposite reaction. If Woody says "yuck", it's got to be a winner. :lol: :lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts