Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is Elvis- my first malinois! He's 12 weeks old. Got a late start on bitework but I have been beginning prey work now and will be learning right along side him! :)

He's cuddler, very affectionate!

Is he gonna grow into those ears?!

·
Registered
705 Posts
nice looking boy. and late start some people wait a year. lol just be careful in a couple weeks on the those teeth

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
I love the way mali pups look at that age.

You've probably done more OB with your pup than I did with mine by 6 months old, late start, psshh :p Like Steve said, watching out for that teething, no tug or "bitework" till all those puppy teeth are out and the new ones are in solid.

·
Banned
24 Posts
Love the markings on the feet!

·
Registered
580 Posts
don't feel bad. I did nothing but rag work and environmental work - not even basic ob commands - with my girl until she was about 13-14 months old. And she's learning very quickly. It was an experiment for me, but I think I'm going to do every puppy I get that way from now on.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Can I build drive and just let him win but not tug while he's teething?
I haven't started OB yet- which is more important right now- OB or Socialization?

Thanks for all the compliments! I love his bg black feet too- I hope he stays darker!
Oh- this is weird but I don't know his bloodlines... I was told he is from frenchring and knpv lines. I got him at pet price so I can't complain- but I am working on gettingthat info- let you knwo when I find out! (i really want to know !) :)
Alison

·
Registered
705 Posts
you can but you just gotta be carefull if he is bleeding if it starts to hurt to bite he wont want to do it

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay, I'll just let him show me if he wants to tug or if it hurts or he seems reluctant, I'll just let him win and carry it around. Right now his teeth are so tiny they just slip off the toy or tug if you put any tension on it.
He really doesn't like the ball. He will hardly chase it and if he does he immediately runs away with it. He shows alot of nervousness and tries to sniff all around the ball as if he can't find it, but he just chased it over there so I know he can see it and smell it, but won't pick it up and then runs off without it. Why?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bump!

No one seems to know why he does this with the ball- any ideas? (see last post)

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Is it a hard ball and did he get whacked with it at some point? Does he have any retrieving tendencies to begin with (have not read whole thread)?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No, he doesn't seem to have any "retrieving" tendancies unless it's shoving a tug in my hands to tug now.(is this bad?) He will not bring back a ball and id very possessive of anything he seem to think is his.
I haven't used a ball on a string since I don't have one, yet. I am thinking he may have gotten whacked with one before I owned him. Is this the typical reaction for a dog getting hit with one?

·
Registered
161 Posts
if he is coming back to play tug with you encourage the hell out of it and make it fun for him. Don't over do it to the point that he loses interest, though.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
I am not qualified to give this advice, but...

No, he doesn't seem to have any "retrieving" tendancies unless it's shoving a tug in my hands to tug now.(is this bad?)
What Sam said. Make the tug a retrieving object. Make him work for the game. He's trying to initiate play with you...but make sure he's bringing it on your terms, releasing it when you want him to, etc. The Balabanov DVDs give great examples of this type of play.

He will not bring back a ball and id very possessive of anything he seem to think is his.
Make sure you control what he has. They are your toys, not his, when the game is done...the toys go away. Assuming you are crating this dog, as well. If he's possessive on the ball, consider playing two-ball with him...the second he drops the first, throw the second, etc. Link giving up the toy with a reward.

I haven't used a ball on a string since I don't have one, yet. I am thinking he may have gotten whacked with one before I owned him. Is this the typical reaction for a dog getting hit with one?
I don't know if it's typical but it's a possibility. My dog took a few shots with a very hard rubber ball and had extreme ball drive, but she's also retarded. The only person in my house who got hurt by a ball was my kid, who was about 10 months old at the time, when I accidentally hit him in the forehead with a line drive with the hard ball. He still has ball drive, too.

But yeah, if a puppy is hurt by something, it could have this kind of reaction.I like ball stuff because it's fun, good exercise, a continuous "ob" environment (you bring it back to me, you sit, you get it again, etc.) and I wouldn't like the only playtime with my pup to be around a tug, etc. You might want to swing by your pet store and see if they have these:

http://www.planetdog.com/dog-toys.asp?ID=10

Small ones are good for puppys. Orbees are my favorite. Expensive but they are indestructible. And very soft, still not sure how they do that.

You may also want to try a Chuckit Flying Squirrel if the dog is not crazy about ball but you want to work on retrieve. These are a lot of fun if you've never seen them...tons of action and movement. They don't hold up for long, I am gonna nag Lynn Cheffins to make me a super squirrel before next winter.

http://www.caninehardware.com/products/squirrel/squirrel.html

All my opinions, feel free to gut them.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Do you think he might not be going for the ball because it isn't moving anymore and therefore he just isn't all that interested in it? The sniffing around it just sounds like a displacement activity because he is a little frustrated and wishing the thing would move so he could chase it. Sure looks like a nice puppy, Allison!

Don't worry Woody, your Super Ballistic Squirrel is in the works - especially after I checked out what kinda coin they were charging for "Flying Squirrels" in the pet boutiques......wow, I am in the wrong business!

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Don't worry Woody, your Super Ballistic Squirrel is in the works - especially after I checked out what kinda coin they were charging for "Flying Squirrels" in the pet boutiques......wow, I am in the wrong business!
Yeah, sorry for not following up on that PM, I'll buy one and send it to you if you want. Just needs a thicker fabric and heavier stitching...but I need to think through the supports they use (semi-rigid plastic tubing) that give the thing structure and that whacked flying action.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts