Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Show off (-:, you know darn well your dog is good, excellent work and handling, one minor thing is that he automatic look at the decoy as soon as you stop, so next time just before you stop command fuss so that he won't get into a habbit of braking eye contact before you release him.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes that's true, and I can't get that out of him. He heel's good, breaks the eye-contact at the moment I stop, and than lookes back at me because he doens't get the click (and action from the helper) before he looks at me. Even though that doesn't help him staying focussed on me. But I think i leave it that way, because he won't break out or something. What do you think?
And thanks a lot for your comment about that! I do know that he is doing good, but sometimes you are so focussed on a few things that you might forget other points.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Saskia Stark said:
I'm curious to your opinion about this video.
My dog is 10 months old here, working on a decoy he never met before.
http://www.zippyvideos.com/8221550145850796/devil_pakwerk_20_aug_06/

2 days later, on an other field:
http://www.zippyvideos.com/9168958795853976/devil_pakwerk_22_aug_
06/

Saskia, that is some nice bitework, I like the helper's style 8) , he works the dog well. The second video showed a lot of confidence. Is this the dog you did the BH with? I am not sure if that's what you said in a previous post because at 10 months it seems a bit early?
In the US you can't do a BH until 15 months.
Gr Rob

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Robert, thanks a lot. This is defenately a good helper, and only 15 years old! Thumbs up for this guy! We wished he was our own helper, too bad he 'just' visites our club sometimes... :wink:

The dog you're seeing here is my 13 months old dog, with succeded for his BH at his first birthday. Also here it's true thats you can't do BH before the age of 15 months IF you are a member of the german shepherd club. (VDH) But i'm also a member of the dutch workingdog club (NBG/IPO) and they have the age of 12 months.

Hopefully I've got some new video's soon, maybe tomorrow. :wink:

·
Registered
676 Posts
Saskia Stark said:
Yes that's true, and I can't get that out of him. He heel's good, breaks the eye-contact at the moment I stop, and than lookes back at me because he doens't get the click (and action from the helper) before he looks at me. Even though that doesn't help him staying focussed on me. But I think i leave it that way, because he won't break out or something. What do you think?
And thanks a lot for your comment about that! I do know that he is doing good, but sometimes you are so focussed on a few things that you might forget other points.
Well he is still young so I would try to fix it, I think that he thinks the excercise is over when you stop, you might want to try heelling him away from the decoy instead of toward the decoy and then come to a slow stop and at the same time command fuss to remind him that the exercise is not over, click or mark the right behavior when he is still looking at you when stop and then send him for the reward. If you are working to fix this, the decoy should just slip the sleeve right away instead of pressuring the dog.
Away from protection work and on the obedience part, I see alot of handler when coming to a stop alow to the dog to look away, when you stop and after he sit automatic, you should command sit again, this will tell him you just give him a new command and that the eye contact is over and that he is allow to look away, if you don't tell him to sit or give him another command he will automatic thinks that eye contact is over when you sit and this is where this habit form. If your dog is older then I would not try to fix it because I don't think it is that big of a deal, but since your dog is still young and full of drive and potential, then why not shoot for a perfect picture?

·
Registered
676 Posts
Saskia Stark said:
Well he is still young so I would try to fix it, I think that he thinks the excercise is over when you stop, you might want to try heelling him away from the decoy instead of toward the decoy and then come to a slow stop and at the same time command fuss to remind him that the exercise is not over, click or mark the right behavior when he is still looking at you when stop and then send him for the reward. If you are working to fix this, the decoy should just slip the sleeve right away instead of pressuring the dog.
Away from protection work and on the obedience part, I see alot of handler when coming to a stop alow to the dog to look away, when you stop and after he sit automatic, you should command sit again, this will tell him you just give him a new command and that the eye contact is over and that he is allow to look away, if you don't tell him to sit or give him another command he will automatic thinks that eye contact is over when you sit and this is where this habit form. If your dog is older then I would not try to fix it because I don't think it is that big of a deal, but since your dog is still young and full of drive and potential, then why not shoot for a perfect picture?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts