Working Dog Forums banner

My Bio

881 views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  Patrick Murray 
#1 ·
Thanks Patrick for inviting me to this forum. My name is Jerry Lyda and I live in Evans Ga. just outside Augusta. Matt Hammond and I run Quality K9 Concepts. As long as I can remember I've been around dogs. I trained my first dog at twelve years old. German Short Hair Pointer for hunting. I train now in Schutzhund and American Street Ring. My male, Bentley, is titled in Schutzhund ASR and in AKC obedience. He was injured befor I had a chance for his SchH3.His titles are, SchH2, ASR entery level,CGC, HIC, National Team Obedience winner in AKC 2001.I have a female now that's 16 months old and she is VERY promising. We also will compete in SchH, ASR, And AKC. Her name is Lexus and is all German Lines. Plus I have a Boston Terrier that does the SchH rutine and he, Doodle, Is an explosive detection dog.

#3 ·
Jerry Lyda said:
Thanks Patrick for inviting me to this forum. My name is Jerry Lyda and I live in Evans Ga. just outside Augusta. Matt Hammond and I run Quality K9 Concepts. As long as I can remember I've been around dogs. I trained my first dog at twelve years old. German Short Hair Pointer for hunting. I train now in Schutzhund and American Street Ring. My male, Bentley, is titled in Schutzhund ASR and in AKC obedience. He was injured befor I had a chance for his SchH3.His titles are, SchH2, ASR entery level,CGC, HIC, National Team Obedience winner in AKC 2001.I have a female now that's 16 months old and she is VERY promising. We also will compete in SchH, ASR, And AKC. Her name is Lexus and is all German Lines. Plus I have a Boston Terrier that does the SchH rutine and he, Doodle, Is an explosive detection dog.
I too would love to see your Boston's pics. (All pics!!!)

Is it possible that I have seen your Boston doing bitework on another web site? I don't remember the names, I'm afraid, but I looooooved seeing it!

It just seems that there aren't a lot of Bostons doing SchH.......so maybe this was yours I saw! It was terrific. :D

#4 ·
Jerry Lyda said:
Could I also ask: Do other flat-face dogs do SchH? Yours was the first I had seen (if that's who I saw) and the excitement/amazement in my Pug's club was very high.

#5 ·
Boston T

He is NOT titled he just loves it. I have to be careful with him now because he and my GSD, 102 pounds got into it. The boston bit the GSD and the GSD tried to shake him off. The boston wouldn't turn him loose and he broke his jaw. He's back together now and doing well but I'm afraid to let him get to serious on the sleeve. Katrina has a tape of him doing it but I don't thnk it's been on the web anywhere. Lots of fun though. His sire got hold of a wild bob cat and the bob cat tore him up and he wouldn't let the bob cat go either. Many stitches.

#7 ·
Man, I wish I could find that tape!
I did'nt delete it, I just can't figure out where the dern thing is.

Anyway, I can definitely account for little Doodle.
The first time I met him, Jerry was twice as cautious about letting Doodle mingle with everyone than his SchH 2 GSD. He's not aggressive in typical little dog fashion, just incredibly sharp- Malinois sharp- and twice as fast.

Godd to see you here, Jerry!

-Kristina

#11 ·
Welcome Jerry. Do you train your dogs in Schutzhund and ASR simultaneously or do you work one first and then progress to the other. My female is SchH 3 and I would love to see her get into ASR...

I have had a few Nay Sayers say a Schutzhund dogs don't have the nerves to do ASR. Do you find that to be true?

I am so sorry to read about your dog Reese. :evil: That is unbelievable. I had a GSD stolen about 7 years ago and it broke my heart so much that I swore I would never own another dog, but time heals and now I have another GSD who just had puppies.

Welcome again. I hope your partner joins as well.

#12 ·
Julia Tompson said:
I have had a few Nay Sayers say a Schutzhund dogs don't have the nerves to do ASR. Do you find that to be true?
This is what really pisses me off more than anything. A good dog can participate in any sport, whether it be Schutzhund, KNPV, ASR, or even AKC OB and Agility. It's about the dog, not the sport. Some people have amazing dogs, and choose to compete in IPO or Schutzhund with the dog because they enjoy the sport and their local training club, it doesn't make their dog nervey or junk, it's just what the handler decided they want to train in.

The only problem I see with Schutzhund is that it doesn't test a dog to its full ability, so a dog who may title in Schutzhund, may not title in ASR, but that's a dog issue, not a sport issue.

#13 ·
Julia, this is how I feel about training the same dog in schutzhund and in ASR. Both dogs start out the same way in bite work. They start in drive. There's things you train in schutzhund that you don't train in ASR. 1- Footstep tracking. If you are going train in both sports, train the footstep tracking first from puppy. It's easier this way. Harder to go air sent tracking then to footstep. The dog will not want to keep his head down and he will track too fast. 2- Obedience is obedience. There's more you have to do for the training of the schutzhund dog vs ASR. Train the schutzhund type focus and the extra patrs in schutzhund.
I'm at work and I have to go do something. I'm going to send this part and I'll pick up where I left off. Sorry

#14 ·
OK I'm back. To think that they want me to do something when I'm here. The nerve of it all.. Anyway, All I'm saying is that yes you can train both sports providing you do the schutzhund first. Your dog is a schutzhund 3 you will have NO problems. I had to stop schutzhund with Bentley because he stressed an ACL. The A-frame would have been tuff for him. We , Matt Hammond and myself had to get him on a bite suit and that happened with no problem. He had to show civial defence and that wasn't a problem either. Bentley is out of the Guy's Hof line in Belgium and he loves to work. I still take him sometimes just so he can get a bite and run around with the sleeve which fills all his enter emotions :D I'm working with my young female, 16 months, and she is doing great. I will get her BH and SchH1 then go full force in ASR. Yes it does take a good dog with good nerves to do ASR. More pressure is put on these dogs but a dog with schutzhund can take it but you may have to do it slowly. Of course not all schutzhund dogs will do it. There's also a lot of dogs that want do either. I was lucky and blessed with Bentley, he has his SchH2 HIC, CD, CGC and we were part of a team that won in 2001 the AKC National Team Obedience competition in Perry Ga. I love that dog that I call my buddy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.