Working Dog Forums banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Bob Scott said:
The front shot is only for the head although folks I know that have done this show a standing front view. The side should be a full standing shot.
I've seen ILP registered dogs that you have to say :eek: "He's a WHAT"!
The AKC wants the registration fees.
Connie, If the dog in question looks more Lab, then register it as a lab. :wink:
The ILP also requires the dog be spayed or nuetered.
Maren, Nice looking Mal you got there! :D :wink:

:lol: BEAUTIFUL Mal!

Thanks, Bob. 8)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Connie, This is the first time I've heard of Rally but it sound great.
You said the dog looked lab also, with all the fear going around about the Pits and since this guy is a mix I would sure go for try to reg. him as a lab not the Pit. if at all possible. (some one said it earlier and I sure agree)
Right now where I live Pits are being ban in almost every City around me. And people are acting really stupid.

How old is the dog you are training and the person that wants to do more with it are they able to handle the dog?

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Valerie Oneill said:
Connie, This is the first time I've heard of Rally but it sound great.
You said the dog looked lab also, with all the fear going around about the Pits and since this guy is a mix I would sure go for try to reg. him as a lab not the Pit. if at all possible. (some one said it earlier and I sure agree)
Right now where I live Pits are being ban in almost every City around me. And people are acting really stupid.

How old is the dog you are training and the person that wants to do more with it are they able to handle the dog?
Hey, Valerie! Hi to you and Moses!!

Well, she could be a nice example of a well-mannered Pit, too........ but maybe that's better, to go for an ILP as a Lab. Or something. :>)

She's about a year old. She was already a nice girl, but when she got so biiiiiig, the owners (their first dog) got nervous :lol: and thought maybe a little training would be good. She pulled on the leash, too, and neither of the owners (small people) knew how to correct that.

So she has a nice prong now, hidden under a bandana because of her owners' fear of dirty looks (and I plan to get a VERY nice one from a site Mike gave me a link to: it has a cover made to fit it).

Her owners think she is a Pit-Golden cross; I think she's a Pit-Lab cross. Whatever..... she is one biiiiig (solid but trim) Pit mix.

Now I have to find out whether the Rally trials ever happen around here.

·
Registered
23 Posts
She sounds like a really nice dog.
It is a good thing that she is for first time dog owners. They could have gotten way over their heads with a combo like this. (lot of power there)
The Rally would be great for them not only to learn how to handle their dog but having the interaction with everyone else.
If you can get this girl in under Lab or Pit as long as she can get in.
What make the people think she is golden?
There is a big difference in the hair of a lab and the hair of a golden.

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Valerie Oneill said:
.......What make the people think she is golden?
There is a big difference in the hair of a lab and the hair of a golden.
Well, this is their rationale: This was an accidental litter, and the people this couple bought the puppy from think that a Golden was the successful suitor.

I think they missed something, and that a Lab snuck under the fence, too.

We'll just say the mama's a Pit and the daddy's a travelin' man. :lol: And we'll see how the pictures come out........

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
P.S. Neither one would account for the size of this girl. :lol:

Did I mention that she is a trim 80 pounds at around a year old? :eek: Not at all overweight............ just biiiiig. Or at least bigger than any Pit or Pit mix I had met before.

·
Registered
23 Posts
That's a great idea !

She is a good mix for the power needed and the owners and the dog might have some fun.

Connie, Moses has a pull harness and he LOVES it and so do I. He is not doing weight pulls, but I am training him for a small cart. This is new for me and him but his is learning and doing pretty good.

He gets to use more of his energy and less of mine.

I do have to be very watchful of bunnie though :oops: they are his
"he has lost his mind distraction" LOL

But all in all the training with the pull harness is great and I love it. bunnies included.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Why not try a couple different things to keep the dog active? My breeder has an agility set that she uses just to keep the dogs from getting bored. We also use the A-Frame and Dogwalk for puppies to build confidence and footing.
Add a pic, maybe we can id what it looks like most. I owned a Border Collie/GSD mix (yes, I know 100% that this was the mix, because I caught the AKC B.C. tied with the SV GSD) that I ILP registered as a Border Collie to do agility with. He was smooth-coated, and all black (thanks to the shepherd, who was also all black), so he certainly didn't look purebred! Here's a pic (not very good, but illustrates my point):

21 - 29 of 29 Posts