Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,983 Posts
I've only ever heard not to jerk the tug because their teeth can break, never anything about not lifting them off the ground though. Even one of the videos from Tiekerhook shows him lifting a 5 week old pup off the ground by a tug... so I guess not everyones heard of that ;)

Nice videos, cool pup :)

·
Registered
538 Posts
I also heard it could teach the dog potentially to hold on and not to counter, but I guess the training is the real issue in the end. :wink:

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There were only the two occasions these excercises were performed, it wasn't any kind of 'routine' training, more or less just a way to show the buyer what we see in our evaluation. Some subtler qualities are difficult to reveal on video without creating a purposeful activitity such as this, to help emphasize a point for the buyer's benefit. Those who only wanted 'pets' were presented with videos of the pups we recommended, while they were simply playing or interacting with each other in ways that helped reveal their personalities. Those who wanted working dogs saw vids of the best candidates tugging, chasing, competing for raw chicken, subjected to startling sounds.

·
Banned
329 Posts
I think she shows a lot of tenacity(didn't let go and re-bite, but held on no matter what) and prey instinct, nice little puppy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts