Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
They need to get rid of the helmets and use iron pipes. They're weak, I tell ya! WEAK!! :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
That's AWESOME! I love the mixing of a bit of kick boxing with the grappling and of course the escrima work.

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
Having done Tae Kwon Do and kick boxing in my youth, I really enjoy the MMA but beating on one another with weapons and little if no protective gear tells me these guys have been hit in the head to often.
Kinda like a Dumb and Dumber thing! :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
LOL, not saying I'd do it for fun, though having had a little bit of bo staff training, I always wanted to try the escrima sticks. Our 6th dan master went over to Indonesia to learn some. It seems the helmets are more for making sure no one loses an eye than actually any kind of cushioning. It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye...then it's still fun, you just can't see!

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
:lol: :lol: :lol: Good point!
Kinda like the Red Rider bb gun thing. I still have a small hole in my chest where I dug out a bb with a pocket knife when I was a kid. Wouldn't have went well if dad found out we were playing bb tag....again. :lol: :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
pretty funny. goes to show you that the hours and hours that those guys spend practicing with those sticks is pretty much useless as it degrades to wild swings pretty quickly and the guy who's more aggressive and more willing to take the first blow being the victor...

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
Tim Martens said:
pretty funny. goes to show you that the hours and hours that those guys spend practicing with those sticks is pretty much useless as it degrades to wild swings pretty quickly and the guy who's more aggressive and more willing to take the first blow being the victor...
Yep! The bada$$ on the street is still going to whip the gym "expert" if the heart isn't in it.
Biting and eye gouging still rules the street! :D

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tim Martens said:

Not really. The idea of training is to integrate the weapons with empty hand so that one can transition seamlessly from range to range, with confidence rather than fear.

Someone can always be better than you at any particular range(or all), but as the fights show, the man who is able to control the pace of the fight and take it to the range he is most fluent in will usually be the victor.

A few more for your viewing pleasure:

http://dogbrothersvideo.com/dogzillafirstday.wmv

http://dogbrothersvideo.com/2004craftydemo.wmv

http://dogbrothersvideo.com/lonelydog.wmv

http://dogbrothersvideo.com/interfacetrailer_large.wmv

http://dogbrothersvideo.com/unorganizedmilitia.wmv

http://dogbrothersvideo.com/rumination.wmv

I just love the "fang" :twisted:

Andy.

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
Andy Andrews said:
Not really. The idea of training is to integrate the weapons with empty hand so that one can transition seamlessly from range to range, with confidence rather than fear.

Someone can always be better than you at any particular range(or all), but as the fights show, the man who is able to control the pace of the fight and take it to the range he is most fluent in will usually be the victor.
gimme a guy with a year of jiu jitsu against the guy with two years of that stick training any day of the week...

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Tim, from the one video I saw, it looked look they had done a bit of ground work already. Obviously, the escrima are highlighted, but yeah...hard to do much of anything in martial arts these days without at least a little jiujitsu and grappling.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tim,

Seeing as how the Dog brothers train with the Machados, I'm fairly certain most of their students/followers are more than competent on the ground...as the videos show.

My personal background is jiu-jitsu and I'd go with the weapon any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
Andy Andrews said:
Tim,

Seeing as how the Dog brothers train with the Machados, I'm fairly certain most of their students/followers are more than competent on the ground...as the videos show.

My personal background is jiu-jitsu and I'd go with the weapon any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
i didn't know they train wiht the machados. i guess i don't see the premise here. do the "dog brothers" run a camp or are they just the brothers that fight? so the machados go to this stick fighting training center and train students in JJ?

i haven't watched the rest of the videos that you posted, but from the first ones posted, if you call those examples of "more than competent"..... :eek:

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The Dog brothers are closely associated with the Inosanto academy, as are the Machados. Everyone in that circle trains with everyone so they can get better. The Machados have felt the pain of the fang themselves, and they've helped the stick guys develop their clinch/ground games too.

Not everyone who goes to the gatherings is a pro or full time fighter. Most are everyday guys who just want to test themselves against resistance in an open evironment.

And what's with the crack on their competency? There is as much technique demonstrated in the videos as there is in the UFC/Pride. Things aren't as clean/pretty in a fight as they are on a grappling mat. When people are hitting you, especially with sticks, things change drastically. However, there were a few beautiful takedowns in the videos, as well as strong positional control and a few nice armbars.

To each their own I guess. :)

Andy.

·
Premium Member
20,210 Posts
Bob Scott said:
Having done Tae Kwon Do and kick boxing in my youth, I really enjoy the MMA but beating on one another with weapons and little if no protective gear tells me these guys have been hit in the head to often.
Kinda like a Dumb and Dumber thing! :lol: :lol:
But Bob! Part of their credo puts the lie to THAT! :lol:

QUOTE:

No judges, no referees, no trophies. One rule only: Be friends at the end of the day. This means no one should spend the night in the hospital, and everyone should leave with the IQ that they came with. END

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
Andy Andrews said:
The Dog brothers are closely associated with the Inosanto academy, as are the Machados. Everyone in that circle trains with everyone so they can get better. The Machados have felt the pain of the fang themselves, and they've helped the stick guys develop their clinch/ground games too.

Not everyone who goes to the gatherings is a pro or full time fighter. Most are everyday guys who just want to test themselves against resistance in an open evironment.

And what's with the crack on their competency? There is as much technique demonstrated in the videos as there is in the UFC/Pride. Things aren't as clean/pretty in a fight as they are on a grappling mat. When people are hitting you, especially with sticks, things change drastically. However, there were a few beautiful takedowns in the videos, as well as strong positional control and a few nice armbars.

To each their own I guess. :)

Andy.
andy, i made an edit on my post. for some reason it didn't show up. anyway, what i said was that i watched the first video you posted again. there were some punches in the guard, a nice takedown, a guy elbowing from side control so it is pretty obvious they have some ground skills. i'll recant that statement.

as far as the ground fighting though, you notice what happens to the sticks on the ground? they're nowhere to be seen.

you are right. to each his own and i applaud anyone that has the cajones to do what those guys are doing. i guess i was looking at it more from a practical point of view...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts