Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you guys give a different meal before you work your dogs? If so, what kind? Notice anything different, like more energy vs. a dog that is almost sleepy?

·
Registered
557 Posts
I feed my dogs under 6 mo -3x a day. Over 6 months 2x a day. They are not worked for at least one hour after eating in the am or lunch meal. Heavy exercise ---2 hours. I will also feed a smaller meal if I know that they will be working really hard within 3 hours of feeding. In other words...If I am going to be doing bite work taining at 9-9:30 am I will feed my dogs a lighter breakfast meal at 6 am. Dinner meal is at the end of the day & is the heaver meal & no work is done after that meal. I also wait at least an hour after working before feeding. If hard work, (bitework, heavy exercise) I wait 2-3 hours before feeding. BTW my dogs are fed a totally raw diet.

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
I used to not feed in the AM before tracking, but found the dog to be too hectic on the track. Now I feed a small meal around 1/2 hr - 45 min before.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I feed my PSD as soon as we return home from shift (Science Diet). When we start work I give him (1) Milk Bone buiscuit and (1) halfway through shift.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts