Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
I always tell the dog "good (insert command here)" in the early stages of obedience. Now, this of course depends on the dog. If I had a rabid kitten like Lyka, then no, I wouldn't repeat the command. But with Carbon, being a pretty calm dog with obedience, I do repeat the command, but only on stays. That reinforces what he should KEEP doing. If you only say "good", some smart dogs will think "ok, my job's over. Later". I wean off of this, same as treats, to the point where I don't verbally praise every single time the dog does a correct behavior. For example: When most people run an agility course with a speedy dog, you can barely get one command out before it's time for another. Dropping "good" in after every "jump" "go on jump" "left tire" "right walk it" would be impossible without causing the dog to spin or go off course, causing a fault and most likely losing the competition.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.