Working Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Marine Corps was born on this the 10th day of November, 1775 at Tun Tavern in Philadelphia, PA.

Happy Birthday Devil Dogs!!!

Andy.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Happy birthday to all of you who have served.

And Andy, I don't know if you saw General Peter Pace making the rounds on the morning news shows today...keep an eye on that guy...anyone who can thank Veterans, recognize the Marine Corps' special day, and thank Ed Bradley for his service in 30 seconds is a serious political contender. He came off great, saw both his interviews on NBC and CBS.

The Joint Chiefs of Staff seem to pull in some very great political leaders (I mean that in a good way). I met Colin Powell in 1990, he was the most impressive guy I have ever met in my life. We need more political leaders out of the military.

Edited to insert this awesome example of Gen. Pace actually barely tolerating Rumsfeld...I had forgotten about this one, it's on Pace's Wikipedia entry:

When UPI's Pam Hess asked about torture by Iraqi authorities, Rumsfeld replied that "obviously, the United States does not have a responsibility" other than to voice disapproval.

But Pace had a different view. "It is the absolute responsibility of every U.S. service member, if they see inhumane treatment being conducted, to intervene, to stop it," the general said.

Rumsfeld interjected: "I don't think you mean they have an obligation to physically stop it; it's to report it."

But Pace meant what he said. "If they are physically present when inhumane treatment is taking place, sir, they have an obligation to try to stop it," he said, firmly.
Seems like a great guy.

·
Premium Member
21,869 Posts
Happy birthday Jarheads! Love yas!

My nephew, Cpt Tim Scott, is a Recon instructor with the Marines.
Served in the initial invasion in Iraq. One tour in Haiti and is getting ready to train with the British Royal Marines.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
and happy marine (jarheads--yeah, they love that!) birthday to my nephew, serving his 2nd tour in iraq, my cousin and my brother-in-law. semper fi

1 - 6 of 6 Posts