Working Dog Forums banner

How much do you spend on one dog every year?

March 31st 2006 - How much does your dog cost?

5K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  Connie Doan 
#1 ·
Thought this was an interesting topic....

How much do you spend each year PER DOG (for only 1 dog), on the following things?

-- Food
-- Normal Vet Bills (i.e. something you would pay every year)
-- Regular Medications (Heartworm Preventative, Flea/Tick Meds or any special medication your dog requires long-term)
-- Vitamins, Suppliments, Treats etc

This does NOT include training equipment, gas to drive to training, training club fees, initial costs such as crates food bowls etc, just stuff you pay every year.

If you have multiple dogs and one dog is more expensive than the other dog -- pick the most expensive dog!

#2 ·
Is this for sport dogs or for working dogs owned by their departments? I'm sure I spend less of my own money than those that own their own dogs. Are you asking how the the departments spend or what we spend out of our own pockets?

ex: my department spends approx $1,000 on food a year, per dog. I usualy buy my own suppliments, treats, toys and some equipment. I usually pay for my own certifications too. They used to reimburse for certs but lately they haven't.

#4 ·
Interesting point, if you know how much your department is spending on your dog, i would say add that amount to the amount you spend personally. I'm more focusing on the total cost of how much a dog costs, rather than what people personally spend or who pays what. So for example if your dept spends $1000/year on your dog and you spend $500, hit the $1500 button :)

#8 ·
Considering food, gas for dog stuff travel, tugs, normal vet trips, just did hip/elbow xrays, the obligatory chicken wing stop after Thursday night training, Chinese restraunt after the Saturday training..........Dern........I better not try and figure this out. If my wife finds it out, I may never get to leave the house again. :D :wink:

#9 ·
Bob Scott said:
Considering food, gas for dog stuff travel, tugs, normal vet trips, just did hip/elbow xrays, the obligatory chicken wing stop after Thursday night training, Chinese restraunt after the Saturday training..........Dern........I better not try and figure this out. If my wife finds it out, I may never get to leave the house again. :D :wink:
Or maybe never get back in! LOL!

#15 ·
Let's see: I spend a lot for a dog not bred by me if it is one year or older, vet fees, OFA and SV fees, raw and high quality kibble diet, treats treats and more treats, marrow bones, training costs with three clubs, gas, dog toys, top of the line equipment, my training field, a new kennel going up, more equipment, dues to USA, breeding fees for studs for my own bitch if not my studs, oh when does it end. Never. But I am single, can do whatever crazy thing I please, and the dogs are my first joy. Parrots right up there too but that is a whole other story and a black sink hole of money and time. I have three intact males in the sport one a 3 and one a BH and ready for 1, a very precocious 12 mo old, two intact retired males, two intact bitches, and two old spayed bitches one worth her wt in gold, Barb 8-[

#18 ·
I work at my dogs vet hospital but still with my discount I spend Tons in vet bills... normal check ups and general flea/tick and other stuff. I also spend a TON on food!
So in the 7 months I have had my puppy he has probably cost me around 4,000.00 easy 8-[

#19 ·
I started adding in "hidden" costs. :yikes: My little dog went to "visit" the neighbors today. That cost about $130 in gas, printing posters, cell phone use and missed work.

I put in 500 - 700. That might be a bit high, since I'm getting used to my new budget as a single mom. However, back when I did what I wanted and didn't keep track, it was WAY over 2,600 per year. :oops:

#20 ·
I'm too scared to add it up. But I have heard people argue endlessly over the purchase price of a pup and I really can't understand that. The purchase price, whether $500 or $5000 is a drop in the bucket over the dog's lifetime expenses of owning, feeding, vet bills, club/training fees and trialing and/or showing the dog!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.